Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernandez_gw

Lemon Zest

jfernandez
12 years ago

hello folks

wanted to know a few more details about this tree and the fruit...just picked one up.Had a couple of Hadens drop over the weekend. Mango Dog,your season is over but mine is just beginning - have about 20 left and they'll be ripening from now to Nov. A few pics of new stuff I picked up

LZ

Pickering

Sharwill avo

for MangoDog Haden

next to a black sapote

Lancetilla question: is this mango ready? it's about 4 pounds and it's punishing my small tree by hanging around.

JF

Comments (25)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Interesting....your Hadens look nothing like the Hadens I am familiar with. The ones I have seen look like what is pictured in the attachment.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Haden mango

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

looks like a keitt

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry,

funny you say that, because last years Hadens were half the size (6oz.) but they looked more like your pic, yellow with red blush. I think I'm going to let this tree and some other ones rest for a year....I'm not letting my trees get any vegetative growth. Harry, what about the Lancetilla, you think it's ready?

JF

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

JF:

No, unfortunately for your little tree.....they usually fill out much more substantially before they are fully mature. At least, that is what they do at my house.

Harry

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

You know, this brings up a point that I have wondered about for some time. I have never heard nor read anything conclusive about it. What I wonder about is whether the pollen providing parent tree can have some effect, not just on the genetics of the seed (which of course it does definitely have), but also on the exterior appearance of the fruit, including shape, size and coloration. If anyone has seen anything on this in the literature or heard from anyone that is authoritative on the subject, I would be most interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry,

Guess I'll add this tree to the list, no more mangos till 2013.

JF

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It definitely has something to do with pollination. I did not change the fertilizer, I add chicken manure to the mulch and I water it a little more this year but I wonder what else is going on.

JF

• zands
    12 years ago

The first Lemon Zest out West! Lots of luck with your good looking specimen. I just planted LZ yesterday and can't wait 'till I get a few fruits my guess is summer 2013. I had an LZ sample and it was the most unique mango flavor with an orange sherbet kind of taste

• mangodog
    12 years ago

yo yo, JF - nice to hear from the East side of L.A. Wondered what's been happening in your neck. That Haden (or whatever it is) looks great and LANCE - what can you say - those monsters really challenge their trees, don't they. Like you said - no growth and all fruit - the little tree that could!

Your stuff looks fine - I've just harvested my 55th Manila today and have about 6 left on the tree. Been putting them directly in the frig to maintain whatever level of ripeness they happen to have at harvest time, and then pull them out later and it takes about 1-2 days for the ripeness to finish - it's a good system as I was completely overloaded with fruit last year and gave tons away. Now I get to spread the season out. Working well so far. Would still love for you to taste one of the Manny's and see what you think. Wish I could get one to you....

We had 117 degreees on tuesday and wednesday and 113 today. Most plants see fine - a little crisping of some mango leaves, but that always happens. These summers toughen them up for sure.....

talk soon....MangoD

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry,

I need your expert opinion. there was some controversy whether my mango was a Haden or a Keitt. Here it is ripen, it sure taste like a Haden....sweeeet with a little fiber just like I like it.

Thanks
    JF

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Wellllll......that looks a whole lot like a Carrie from the pictures you posted....at least as far as the inside of the mango and especially where the orange flesh meets the green skin. Very mysterious.....I must say. I wish I could judge it in person from flavor. I must admit being pretty baffled if you say that the tree bore fruit that were more characterically shaped like Haden previously. From the exterior view, the fruit doesn't look like Carrie or Haden. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Harry, I can't give you more information. I lost the card from last where I took the pictures and I did not post in the forum at that time. I can show you pics of the tree if it helps you identify it. My carrie seems like a smaller fruit about 8-9oz. I harvest 5 Haden last year in early Aug. The fruit was about 4 inches long and no more than 6oz. If I recall, they had a lot more fiber than this years version and a bit sweeter.

Thanks

JF

Haden

Carrie

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

JF - you are in SoCal, correct ?

I agree with Harry, sure doesn't look like a Haden to me either. I don't know if you region/climate would have that much of an effect on the look to the fruit as compared to SFla but I would tend to doubt it. The white dots and predominant green skin color really make me say no to Haden. Did last year's harvest look the same ? Also, 4" long and 6 oz sound really small for a Haden...actually, that is really small for any variety. How soft was the texture of the fruit in that picture above ? It looks much softer than a Haden would normally be.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BSBULLIE

I am in North Orange County in Socal. The fruit was very different last year.....last years fruits were yellow skin a red blush,juicy,tangy and super sweet. This years 2 mangos were bigger but green. I think I let them sit too long the flesh was soft and orange-yellow as you can see but I like them that way it gives them a spicy flavor. The fruit was firm when it fell off the tree this year but I let it ripen for a couple of days. I keep all my tags here is a pic of the tag from PI. I hope it wasn't miss label.

JF

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

this is what I think of when describing the looks of a Haden

I also don't think of a Haden having any tartness. Now this could be from being grown in a different climate or any number of factors (early harvesting, fertilizer issues, amount of water, etc.).

As for the PI tag, it should be correct (not mislabeled) but anything is possible. Being this year's fruit seemed to be off in color and size, i would wait till next year to start really worrying if it is definitely a Haden or not. Bottom line, if you like the fruit, it doesn't really matter.

• everettsky
    12 years ago

Hello everyone :)
    I've been reading this post with great interest, especially since JF mentioned that the previous year's harvest of mangoes are drastically different in appearance compared to this year's harvest.

JF,
    I believe the appearance changes may have something to do with the effects of "xenia" & "metaxenia" on your mango fruit this year. Metaxenia & xenia has been documented as affecting a large gamut of fruits, from dates to certain varieties of citrus. If you do a search of the word "xenia" or "metaxenia," you will run into multiple links to studies which have been carried out and posted online.
    I don't know if mangoes are subject to such drastic effects of xenia or metaxenia, but it's a shot at uncovering the truth, right??

Just thought I would add in my two sense... :D

Harry,
    care to experiment with your trees and see if Lancetilla pollen will somehow enlarge the fruit size of a smaller variety...perhaps a Julie? Wishful thinking?? Hehehe...

We can all dream of the more delightful effects of xenia and metaxenia....

everettsky

• rtees_garden
    12 years ago

JF

If you don't mind me asking, did you get the "Lemon Zest" somewhere local. It seems that the choices I have been able to find here in San Diego are not all that great and I have ended up mail ordering most of my plants from FL. I would gladly drive to LA for the day if there is a place that has unique mangos in stock.

Thanks,
    RIchard

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Richard,

you don't have an email we are not suppose to advertise nurseries in this forum.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

JF - nice to see you enjoying some mangos. I've also just read the great HADEN mystery fruit story and have nothing to add to that.

The Edward mango looks excellent. Maybe I'll get lucky and have a few ripe ones next year. I've got 1 Manila left on the tree - I counted them this year and that will make number 66 and I was so worried I would barely get 30! That's the danger of trying to count them when so many of them hide in the green folds of the tree....

Oh - I do have 2 Keitt mangos still ripening...but that will round out my season I think.

My Lancetilla got peed to death so I've got a gap in mango row for now....we'll see where we go with that...

mangoWoofie

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Gary,

66 Manilas, WOW! and you didn't share??? I had two Manilas drop, these were the ones with full sun exposure, a few days ago and I ate one today and I am sorry to report that I was VERY disappointed! The fruit had a strong fragrant but full of fiber, especially around the large seed and not very sweet or juicy. I don't know what I could have done to improve the flavor, the mango was soft and wrinkly so I figure it was ready. Maybe it ripen too fast because of the mini-heat wave we had. Here are some pics next to one of my Glenns, that dropped on the same day, and my Lancetilla that's already given in when I squeeze it. Hopefully the next batch of Manilas will ripen at a slower pace.

JF

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Man did this stray way off topic...

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Joe,

As Far I my experience goes, I have seen Hadens that look like both; not only what you have in your picture, but the ones in the Pictures from bsbullie.

As for it being a Keitt, I think I can say with 100% certainty that it is NOT a Keitt; wrong shape and size. I had some awesome Kietts recently and they were very different in shape then the one in your picture. They had their traditional hook or cleft about 3/4 of the way down the Mango, and were enormous in size.

I also had some Hadens this summer, and like I said some of them looked like the ones from bsbullie, and others had a little more green on them like the one on your picture. They were completely sweet, with no tartness and no fiber whatsoever.

Jacob

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jacob,
    Whatever it was it's a keeper, it tasted like a Haden to me and I grew eating Haden in Miami.

I've harvest my Haden in mid August the last two years they are our earliest mangos in Socal. I would recommend it if you are looking for an early variety.

Yes, I had some of those Keitt in our Fullerton Market they are awesome!

JF

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey MangoDog,

Another two gone...the best mangos yet. Glenn: creamy, peachey, coconutty in short it tasted like a cocktail of tropical fruits! 9 down 18 to go.

JF