Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I cut off all Baily fruit ?..I explain...

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 13:27

It has about 9 fruits the size of a large almond, very small apricot?..something like that. And, it hasn't flushed a new leaf all year since blooming. Then,the fruit began VERY slow growth in June. My Manila by now had large fruits to pick. Also,the no new leaves bothers me-it has finally flushed new leaves below the graft. For now,for energy pickup I'm leaving that-eventually that must be removed..next spring.
So,should I give up on fruit this year,and cut off all the fruit and stalks? try and get some more leafy growth?..it had been growing more than a foot a year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Pics----

The pic of my hand are the above graft fruits,the leaf flush and Mango next to it are BELOW graft. Below graft fruit is straight outta of the trunk-and not outta of Compton!(bad pun)

Full size

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: Should I cut off all Baily fruit ?..I explain...

Okay, first off, I have to admit that I don't have years of experience like most of the mango growers here. However, if your not seeing any good vegatative growths since you have had these fruits develop, in my opinion, I would say that you should remove them.

I have seen fruits form on my small mango trees before, and even though they say that the tree will only hold what it can, the growth did slow down so I removed the fruit.

My thoughts were, if the tree is allowed to grow and get larger, than when it does fruit again, maybe I can allow more than fruit to hold.

I know from experience how hard it can be to remove those little fruits, especially when you have NEVER had fruits growing on a mango tree.

Good luck!
Andrew

o

I'm no mango expert but my mango trees that were holding fruit (Nam Doc Mai and Carrie) were not growing any new leaves untill I removed the fruit. Its been several weeks now and the Carries has lots of new growth and the Nam Doc Mai has lots of buds getting ready to open. They would have probably veged even if I left the fruit on but I want my trees to develope strong branches and leaves before letting it fruit. I feel this will better enable it to deal with its first real winter outdoors.
Simon

o

Yeah,I thinks its time to give up on this year and get more foliage. If I had known in spring..but one tree isnt much of a sample.

o

I'm singing with this choir, Stan! Snip the little jewels off and let the tree get back to its other business of growing....

mangoSniffer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here