Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekweb

soursops (guanabana) fruiting in containers?

creekweb
13 years ago

Has anyone here been able to grow fruit on soursop plants growing in containers?

Comments (16)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Email me and I'll send you an article about someone fruiting it indoors in Russia.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I believe the better response would be...why would anyone want to fruit one anywhere!!!???!!!

• dghays
    13 years ago

Because Jay, not everyone has your misguided thoughts of how they taste. How many people does it take to tell you that tasting one, does not the world make?

Gary

• tj11240
    13 years ago

Cherimoyas are very similar to soursops, no? I ask because I am interested in fruiting a Jete in a pot.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I guess the sense of humor has gone down since I've been gone.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i never tried soursop fruit but hear good things about it, why dont you like it Jay?

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

MK... this subject has been a source of good natured ribbing between several of us on this forum...between those that like it and those that think, like Gerry, the fruit tastes like dirty feet and vomit. Most of us have had a lot of fun with this and none of it was ever meant as gospel. Good fun and teasing. Of course everyone has different tastes but that doesn't mean we won't kid each other.

I recently tried a fresh picked fruit. My experience is the same as the one before and my opinion of the fruit was only reaffirmed. Only one person out of eight of us at the table cared for it at all...and his sense of taste was already in question by the rest of us! LOL!

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Does a fresh soursop differ greatly in flavor from a previously frozen one in a milkshake? I got a soursop milkshake at Robert is Here this summer, and it was excellent. It tasted like a combination of nectarine and lime + vanilla ice cream. That's my only experience tasting soursop, so I'm curious about what if any of the flavor in there was the soursop part? Anybody else had a soursop milkshake at Robert is Here who can compare the flavor to that of a fresh fruit?

• dghays
    13 years ago

Soursop is highly variable. There are lousy ones, there are good ones, but there is no guarantee everyone will like even the best ones. I meant no harm Jay, just didn't want people having the wrong idea of a fruit that can be very good.

Gary

• abayomi
    13 years ago

For those soursop haters, more fruit for me! i had some fresh in hawaii and it quickly rose to perhaps my favorite fruit. had an over-ripe one recently in st. martin (blah). But the hawaii experience rules.

I too want to grow them in pots.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i would like to find a grafted variety like Bennett instead of a seedling

Excalibur didnt have any, after this winter they are scarce to find

heres a description
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/soursop.html#Varieties

A medium-sized, yellow-green soursop called guanabana sin fibre (fiberless) has been vegetatively propagated at the Agricultural Experiment Station at Santiago de las Vegas, Cuba. The foliage of this superior clone is distinctly bluish-green.

Dr. Wilson Popenoe sent to the United States Department of Agriculture, from Costa Rica, budwood of a soursop he named 'Bennett' in honor of G.S. Bennett, Agricultural Superintendent of the Costa Rican Division of the United Fruit Company. He described the fruit as large and handsome (as shown in the photograph accompanying the introduction record No. 51050) and he declared the tree to be the most productive he had seen.

• dghays
    13 years ago

I tasted one fresh from Excalibur, it was the tartest thing that tasted excellent to me. It was a deal where when you had a big mouthful, you were like, 'dang is that tart'. By the time you finished that mouthful, you were like, 'I want more'! I was given some seeds from a woman who said her tree produced excellent fruit. I have one seedling in the ground on the south side of my house, the other in a pot. Both survived the winter, but were beat up, but recovered. Looks to be no chance of fruit til next year. Very attractive trees.

Gary

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i want need one. i have a place on my property next to my other anonas for one, the only vacant spot in my yard, but i know if i buy a seedling inevitably i will come across a grafted variety

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

My experience with soursop is eating it with ice and sugar. The ripe flesh is like cotton balls. But when unripe is also good as it's crispy and sweeter than the ripe one. I am growing the soursop in pot and it is close to 3 ft. This tree is very cold sensitive when in pot and it had some die back a couple years ago. I would say this tree is not a easy tree to grow and from seedling growing from pot will even take longer to fruit. It was a slower grower for the first couple years. I think only this year that it started to grow more branches. I have the tree for 4 years....still no sign or flower. The leaves are nice and shiny. The leaves smell very similar to the fruit.

If you can, get a grafted tree.

• Nora Daroy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I got a grafted tree ( sour sop tree) , I have it in a pot 10 gallon pot . It’s healthy and it has green leaves . I have it for 4 years but has not flowered since!

can someone advice me what to do so it will bear fruit

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms