Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

mango seed growth rates?

Realizing it would be the 5th of never before he got any fruit, dh planted two mango seeds in April. They sprouted right away (mono embroyonic) but seem to be growing very very slowly.They are in pots, in full sun. It is very humid here. One is 7 inches tall and is very bushy with tons of leaves , the other is about the same height and has leaves only at the top of the stem. The new growth is dark red. They seem to grow a little and then just sit there for the longest time before growing again. Is this a normal growth rate for mango seedlings?

~SJN

Comments (12)

• costaricafinca
    17 years ago

That seems to be about right. As you mention, they sprout very quickly. Then, it's 'hurry up and wait'!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I was beginning to worry that something was wrong with them. I guess they can just take their sweet time then :).
    ~SJN

• User
    17 years ago

I wouldn't say that they grow slowly, but they definitely grow in spurts. If they are not doing anything, is it possible they want bigger containers?? Are you fertilizing?
    After a major flush of leaves, though, they may need a bit of a rest. I go along with their need for a seasonal rest by cutting way down on watering (and eliminate feeding)for the winter season. They are origially from India, (extremely seasonal in rainfall/monsoonal), so that might explain their tendency to grow in spurts with periods of dormancy. Good luck!

Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I checked the roots today and I think I definitely have a problem.. They both need repotting they are in 1 gal. size now and the big main roots is wrapping round and round the bottom , so should I only go up 1 pot size?
    The real problem is that the smaller one with less leaves is infested with sugar ants. I guess I should wash off the roots to get them out and then repot?
    Some of the roots on that one look brown and will have to be trimmed as well.
    ~SJN

• baci
    17 years ago

Mango tree are not fond of being moved. Mine do best when I put them in deep pots & leave them alone. They will grow in gallon pots, but it seems to stunt their growth. Growth seems to be twice as fast in the ground.

• firegurl
    17 years ago

I grew a mango from seed as well. I would agree that the growth is in spurts. The mango will open a whorl- or new set of leaves, they are reddish and hang for a few days til they perk up and turn green. Then from the inner stalk or trunk emerges another stem/node (excuse my bad terminology at this late hour) and then a new set of leaves emerge. So mangoes, until more mature will grow a set of leaves and then get taller, then new leaves and so on...i would imagine thats why they take so long. They like sun and humidity too as long as there is no standing water/root rot conditions then I'd say don't worry. It'll grow faster when it establishes. If you have it in a pot that is too big to start sometimes plants will concentrate on establishing roots instead of leaves...
    Hope this helps
    :) Danielle
    Firegurl

Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I had a problem with ants and had to repot. This was on the 29th. The part of the seed that is left after they sprout out of it, is what attracted the ants, I think. When I repotted I removed this part of the old seed husk. There were ants everywhere in both of the mango trees' roots. I took the hose and washed off all the dirt, ants, and ant eggs from the roots and repotted. I drenched them good with water and superthrive and left them in the shade. I thought for sure I had killed them!! However, they look good and are putting out tiny new growth on top. I moved them to a filtered sun situation now. So I am hoping they might make it.
    ~SJN

• tasty
    17 years ago

Hi I am going to plant a mango from a seed will it grow in my house it is 22ºc do I need anything thanks tasty

• tasty
    17 years ago

Hi I am going to plant a mango from a seed will it grow in my house it is 22ºc do I need anything thanks tasty

• tasty
    17 years ago

hi what month am i supposed to plant it

• Alan Balson
    6 years ago

I planted a mango pip. So when it sprouted it grew 8" in one week. These photos are 6 days apart

• Alan Balson
    6 years ago

It is the fastest growing plant I have ever grown. In the background I have a tamarind I started at the same time