Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthantropical

Around my Tropical Fruit Garden

anthantropical
10 years ago

Hello,

Ever since I knew this forum, it became my favorite. I bookmarked the page and usually get on at least once a day to check out any new picture of tropical plants. It's always excited to see new pictures of new posts. For those who has the same feeling as I do or just got lost into this forum by somehow, here are some pictures of my plants that I would like to share.

I started with 4 plants (Glen Mango, June Plum, Avocado, and a free Surinam Cherry) Spring last year (2012). The June Plum had lot of fruit, but got problem with scales. Therefore, it was trimmed down at Spring this year. The Glen Mango got many flowers, but no fruit.
My addiction to tropical plants only grew since then, as of today, I have over 30 plants. All of them have been growing nicely so far, but unfortunately, I live in Virginia. Cold winter will be here soon. I hope they will survive in my 10x24 greenhouse.
The pictures are before (Spring 2013) and After (Now).
Hope you like pictures. I am happy to take all advice or criticism.

Thanks,
Tuan

Comments (33)

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Star Fruit. Got it in June this year.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avocado. It didn't do well staying inside the house last winter. But it took off since this Spring. Luckily, it will stay in the newly built greenhouse this coming winter.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dragon Fruit

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glen Mango. It was trimmed down in early Spring this year. Hope to get some fruit this year.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lychee

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet heart Lychee. This one didn't do well in container. Therefore, I took it out and planted in ground in the greenhouse. It did much better since then.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple Star Apple. Got it from Pine Island this Spring.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sugar Apple. It almost died when I received it.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guava

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Golden Nugget Jack Fruit.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My friend and I drove to Miami in July 2013 with a big truck and bought the following plants. They are cheap down there, but the overall trip is expensive. Worth it though. It was awesome to explore tropical fruit plants in the area.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carrie Mango!

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day Avocado!

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day Avocado!

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sugar Apple.

• FruitCally
    10 years ago

Gorgeous tropical fruit collection, Anthantropical!

You're taking such good care of the trees. Love the before and after pictures. I think you also have a papaya there to keep the lychee company? The papayas grow so well and fast. It offers good shade and some additional humidity for the lychees. Please keep us posted on the progress through winter. :-)

• Dexter_FTG
    10 years ago

Your trees look amazing! But beware, this is how it all starts... first you get a tree or two, then more and more. The next thing you know you'll be moving to south Florida, buying a house with a large yard, and going crazy planting tropical fruit trees on every available sliver of open yard. (not that it's happened to me or anything)
    Keep up the good work.
    P.S. FruitCally's suggestion of a papaya tree is right on, papaya grows fast, fruits heavy, and is relatively forgiving throughout it's growth process.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks FruitCally and Dexter for your nice comments.
    Dexter: You are right, I have been thinking about moving to South Floria for the purpose of being a tropical fruit farmer. LOL. But my wife said "NO". So, I need for time to convince her. Maybe when I turn 50, I will move down there.

What fruit do you from FruitCally and Dexter? Do you mind sharing some pictures?

Thanks
    Have a nice day!

• mangobaby
    10 years ago

Wow that's an amazing collection. Please post pics of your greenhouse when you set it up.

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

Tuan

Your trees look awesome! I am in Springfield VA and have some trees in the ground, inside a "convertible" greenhouse.
    off course not as healthy as yours.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! That's so cool Jimmy!!! I love your Guava!. It's always excited to know someone just like you who overcomes many challenges due to cold climate and came up with creative way to have a plant like this. That's amazing Jimmy!!! Do you mind if I come to visit you some day. I live in Fairfax, which is not far from you. And of course, you are always welcome to come to see my plants. You can email me at ttranj@gmail.com.

Nice to know you,

Tuan

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

Sounds like a good idea Tuan. My wife thought I am the only tropical nut in this northern area. I have been looking and learning a lot in this great site and thanks to all the wonderful members with great ideas.I was hoping to find someone within the short distance to exchange ideas and by the look at your trees,you are probably a serious tropical nut.
    Below are some of my trees that fruited,in the ground.

Thanks

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

Sounds like a good idea Tuan. My wife thought I am the only tropical nut in this northern area. I have been looking and learning a lot in this great site and thanks to all the wonderful members with great ideas.I was hoping to find someone within the short distance to exchange ideas and by the look at your trees,you are probably a serious tropical nut.
    Below are some of my trees that fruited,in the ground.

Thanks

{{!gwi}}

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

nam duc mai

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

dragon fruit

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

miracle fruit

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

banana

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

Windmill palm

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

pomergranate

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG Jimmy! Your plants are amazing! You must have a big greenhouse to cover all that plants. I got to stop by your place. It's so nice!!!!! Are the pictures of the mango are as today?

Thanks Jimmy,
    Please let me know if I can stop by.

Tuan

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

The 1st picture is the lancetilla, fruit can get up to 5lb. so i plugged off all and only leave 2 on the tree,you can see one is splitting.The papaya tree is almost 9ft.tall. My "convertible" greenhouse is only 10x18.
    most of my trees are outside in the ground.

Tuan, I 'll email you and see if you can stop by the house.

Thanks

• jimmy_va
    10 years ago

papaya

• esco_socal
    10 years ago

You guys have a great collection of tropical fruit trees, very healthy & happy looking as well. Congrats

On a side note, come check out the Tropical Fruit Forum (where the majority of members here took to) with like minded folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Fruit Forum

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz