Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dragon fruit not growing

Posted by holedigger z10 Long beach (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 14:45

I bought cuttings of 4 different dragon fruit back in march. I put the cuttings in cactus mix and they have been getting water and part sun. But only one cutting is showing any sign of growth. The rest are still green, but no new growth! What am I doing wrong? What can I do better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dragon fruit not growing

As long as the cuttings are still firm and not shriveled or rotting, you should be fine. My cuttings showed no signs of growth for about 3-4 months before growing. Are the cuttings getting any sun?

o

I had them in morning sun/afternoon shade and just moved them to full sun a week ago.They look firm and green.

o

Just my two cents here but I'm not sure the cactus mix is your best choice for soils. The DF is a tropical and even the soil should be treated as such. You might want to change over when you transplant the cuttings. Once they start going though, they don't stop! Good luck.

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 6:58

If you have a tad of compost to add to your soil would be good. I don't think the cactus mix is a problem, but Jay is right about it being a tropical cactus. They can be watered quite regularly. You can foliar feed the green part of the plant and any epiphytic roots with a miracle grow type spray to help. My first cuttings grew much more quickly when I started watering way more often during dry times.

Gary

o

You may have gotten cuttings from the same source as I (EBay) and mined aren't growing either. All my other epis are rampant with growth. Mine are in a nice mix of organic garden soil, compost, perlite, ground bark and moss, and have been in the containers as long as yours.

o

Subuch, I did get mine from an Ebay seller. The type of each cutting was written on their sides with black felt tip pen. One of the four is growing, but I can no longer read its name. I may re-pot them all in a homemade tropical plant mix tomorrow. I have been watering them a lot over the past 2 weeks, but still nothing. Its funny you mention the Ebay seller.

What would prevent them from growing?

When I re-pot them I will see if there is any root growth. If not what should I do? Apply rootone?

o

You really shouldn't have to apply rooting hormone to get them started but it couldn't hurt. I also got mine from ebay. Planted in a well drained soil (but richer than cactus soil) and kind of forgot about it. Don't recall how long it took to start growing. Guess it can be like waiting for water to boil--I wasn't watching the kettle though. I have a hunch your problem is heat related. Are you growing these as indoor plants? If you could get them outside in a nice sunny and warm location it should root. Or if you can supply extra heat inside for them ("bottom heat" is good in this regard). Good luck!

o

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 0:58

any new growths yet holedigger?

o

I have some Pitayas growing in pots right now and I have to say they have been putting lots of growth. I am still experimenting with sunlight/shade to see which is best for it. Different people seem to have differnt opnions on whar is better for the plant light or semi shade.

Eggo, Do you have any fruits on your plants this year?

o

No new growth. I pulled 2 from their pots and they did have some roots but they looked brown and dead???? I am stumped. I will eventually transplant these suckers into some orchid mix, or a homemade version I have had success with. The one that is growing (marked "purple"?) isn't exactly "taking off".

We recently did a backyard re-do and I potted over 60 plants to avoid destruction and I have been slowly putting them back into the landscape. These pesky dragonfruit will have to wait until the others are situated before they get my undivided attention. I was hoping that getting four cuttings would put the odds in my favor.

The person I bought them from suggested cactus mix and partial shade.I hope a rich potting mix and more sun will get these going. I am also going to put them in pots on the concrete deck and see if some bottom heat helps.

o

Holedigger,

I have one of mine in Supersoil Cactus mix but I'm not happy with the results. It dries out faster than the ones I have in Miracle Gro soil mix. It seems that cactus mix does not have enough nutrients. After all, Dragon fruits are not your typical desert cactus. They are tropical and require more water and nutrients than regular succulents.

o

Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 0:30

Racor is correct avoid a cactus mix as it drains too quickly and holds no water while at the same time lacks any nutrients for this type of tropical cactus. The best results I've seen with dragonfruits was a mixture of bark, steer manure, and potting soil. I think it really seems to like the mixture of bark into them so I think your orchid mix may do well but you may want to add some nutrients into your mix. Bottom heat is great but avoid too much direct sunlight, until it gets really establish(and even then) too much sun can cause what will look like brown spots, yellowing, and rotting of the limbs.

o

Well, I was puttering around the garden last night and decided to re-pot some of the cuttings. The mix I used was 1/3 peat, 1/3 moisture retentive potting soil and 1/3 crushed bark. I put them in an east facing border that receives morning sun and afternoon shade, and gets water 3x per wk.

o

A local had the same problem. Turns out they need full sun in non hot climates.Even my Hayward neighbors have a large "grove" of Dragonfruit in full all day sun. Amazing that these epi relatives have sent out branches through the cracks of a dividing wooden fence-and look great despite the blazing reflected heat. No,these are not your mom's shade Epi's

o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Part of the neighbors Dragons. Last year they had quite a few too.

o

has any one grew them from seed before? any advices, how long does it take them to fruit if grown from seed?

o

i have transplanted into black container with 75% perlite....its under a plum tree and gets filtered light and shade.

My yard is windy and CRAZY SUNNY.

its been a month and a half....nothing......bought it from ebay....

sigh....

i looked at it this morning, seems like the tops where it was cut is getting a little dark...looks kinda like fungus...not sure.....

any tips?

Dragon Fruits

o

They look fine. Be patient! If they were dead or dying, it would be very obvious.

o

Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 15:59

Earth, there are many breeders in California that has been growing dragonfruit from seeds. However they are trying to obtain new varieties and flavor. I would not recommend growing them that way though, its easy to get cuttings so why not go that route. Growing from cuttting takes 1 1/2 to 2 yrs for it to fruit. I would expect a seedling will take 4 yrs at least(?)

loquat, yeh, be patient and it will start going when its ready. I recommend an area that gets sun but not the very hot afternoon 12'o'clock, right on top of your head, 90 degree sun. Side of the houses usually provide some protection. Either that or use some shade cloth.

o

I just bought 6 dragon fruit cuttings off ebay, and i do not know how to root them, can any one help?

o

They are very easy to root. You can either plant them each in a container or plant them in the ground to grow up along a tree or a post. They will root by just putting it in or on the ground and watering the cutting occasionally. The pic a few posts up with the cuttings in the container is a good example of how you can place the cuttings. Just bury about half of each cutting vertically and they should root fine.

o

I got a bunch of cuttings at the Pitaya Festival which I guess was in September. I'm in Los Angeles and the big worry here is not burning them. I potted each in a mixture of better potting soils (not cactus), some sand and local soil (just bits really for flavor), a smattering of composted manure and a generous helping of my very own compost. The first watering was a plunge into a bucket of water laced with Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro and injectable B Cattle Vitamens (I have this around and use it where others would use Super-Thrive, just tint the water a bright yellow pee color, more than you want yours to look like). They are plunged and swished so that much of the air pops out. Then the starts in their 1 gl. nursery cans were put into the spaces left between the 30"w x 20"h circular nursery containers for part of our backyard orchard. That meant dappled sunlight for the greens and full shade for the small black nursery cans. They were watered probably twice a week and had decent drainage. I now have gherkin-size and shape new growth on almost all of them, and no burning. I think they really want to feed and nutritious soil is important.

o

Mine grow in spurts and spend a great deal of the year standing still - so you might have to wait a while to see any growth. They are pretty tough plants so you can check the root area to see if roots are being formed. If it was me, as long as the leaves were firm and not shriveled I would set them aside and not worry about them. I would also let them dry out between waterings. If they are newly rooted or just barely rooted cuttings then the damp soil is just going to encourage fungus and problems.

o

I live in Northern Pa where our fall and winters are cold! Been growing dragon fruit for several years here (indoors) and found that if I do not water them all the time, let it have filtered light and just good potting soil, it does fine. When the plant equals around 10 lbs of weight, that is when it flowers. Hope this helps.

o

I have red, white and pink ones growing indoors from seed, plan on growing some in pots, some in hydroponics outside. I live in PHX, so I will need them to be mobile till they get big. Planning on growing under my hibiscus for extra shade, my yard is mostly shaded. The red ones did not germinate well, only one came up, the pinks were easy and the white hasn't been all that great yet.

o

I ordered a cutting from ebay and has been growing in the yard under a tree all summer in 110 degree, in 4 monthes it has grown four times its original size.

o
RE: Just bought three varieties on ebay

Yea, just on bid on ebay and I'm the only bidder so I guess I'll win the items.Two red , two purple two red. Just learned about Dragon fruit. I'm grown all the tropicals. A couple questions. Here in Homestead the soil is a few inches deep and then it's crushed or solid rock coral. The mangos, carambolas, avacato, lychee mamay sapote. and a lot more have grown to really big trees. Because of the high PH soil should I leave them to grow in containers? Also, every ten years or so like last year the temperature can freeze here. One night this winter was 29*. Would that have killed the pitangas?

o

They literally will grow in anything, I've seen them flourish in a giant pile of manure. Ideally you want something with good drainage but can hold more water than a cacti mix. The tropical mix I use is an acid mix with some (I think) peet moss in it so that it can hold moisture.

o

I bought some cuttings on ebay about a year ago and i live in ohio so during the winter i bring them inside and put them in my green house they are growing fine but on the new growth they seem to be getting roots (i think) but the new growths are above ground. The roots are approx. 2 inches long. Does anybody know what i should do with them?

o

Leave them. Dragonfruit has epiphytic roots. They will cling to surfaces, such as trees/poles/fencing. Nutrients are also obtained by them & the roots in the soil.

o

They are common in dragon fruit, part of growing and occasionally it also means they need more light (which makes sense since it's winter and unless it gets special lights in the greenhouse it won't be happy.

Nothing to worry about though.

o

I planted seed from a dragon fruit. the seedling germinated in about 2 weeks. that was 6 months ago and they have not move since. i water them about every 3 days but still no growth. all I see are the beginning 2 leaves, is this normal? or is there something i am not doing to make the seedling develop to the next stage?

o

It might be still building it's root structure out before it proceeds.

o

Hutch ... although the dragon fruit seeds will germinate relatively quickly, they are painfully slow growers. I raise them from seeds only when I am trying to develop new varieties. Otherwise, as mentioned above, cuttings are a better route to producing fruit. However, growing from seed can be fun (patience is a virtue with these).. Just be prepared to wait 3 or more years before your first harvest.

The batch of seeds that I am currently growing was planted last October. Now, some four months later, the central stalks (that will emerge between the two leaves) are only 2-5 cm high. Just try to give your sprouts a healthy amount of sun and even moisture. This has worked for me.

o

Okay, well I just bought my first cutting from ebay and I'm excited to see they can be brought to fruit in containers which is my plan. Are these self pollinators or do I need to purchase another? Also if I purchased a different variety would it cross? I also purchased cactus soil in advance my logic being "well it's a cactus" I'll be returning that XD but I'll post a photo as soon as I get it started.

o

You could grow it in the soil, but you're just overpaying since they literally grow in anything short of lava and ice.

o

Does anyone have a cutting they are willing to part with. I live in Arizona now. I am just getting into cactus and there are so many but I would love to have some cuttings. Thanks Connie

o

Hi to all the people who is asking about how to grow. It easy but people out their which are farmer don't want to show you. 1st growing dragon from seed is a NO. growing from cutting which buying it from ebay seller is NO!!!! why because they will sell you cutting that so small, that take years and years and years before the plants reach to the top of the pole, then take year again before new plant start to grow, Dragon fruit to fruit when the plant start to over hang.
HOw to grow:
make a pole at about 1.2 to 1.5 meter from the ground and make a square on top of the pole
1st have a cutting from 500m to 1meter or over, the longer the better.
2/ place the flat side of the plants against the pole and tried it, the flat side is where the root will grow
3/ once you've done that top up with garden soil & cow compost.then water it. water it every day but don't over water it as the plant it self is like water from the inside. they love the sun. In winter should water it only 2 or 3 times a week in the morning. only water it in the center where the pole is. should see some growth in it after 1 month or 2
once small plants start to grow, look and see how many small one start to grow.e..g if there's 3 growing cut away the 2 smallest one. keep doing it until they start to grow as over hang, once it start to over hanging, see if there more small one growing, cut away the smallest one leave 2 behind. buy doing this the plant will not over grow and
when just winter is end top in cow compost. a month later you should see little bud( small round very lite in yellow colur) that's the bud of the dragon fruit. once that start any small stem start to grow just cut it. you only leave new stem after the fruit season.
here is the photo of my 2 years old plant

o

My dragon fruit delight cutting showed a new sprout at 5 weeks. Right now at 6 weeks my 2 tiny Halley's comets show a tiny sprout that is hard to see. I spray with a water bottle every day and the soil and a little bit of late sun. I still need a David bowie cutting if anyone wants to trade for a natural mystic, h comet, yellow, voodoo, graffiti,American B, or delight. Ft myers Thanks fdci1@aol.com

o

Water too often or constant wet soil is the main cause of dragon fruit root root. And it's correct that the plant tends to send out flowers when it is laid horizontal or pointed down. Also it's true that it loves raw cow manure -- lots of them -- put around the root on top of the soil before the flowering reason.

sapote

o

I bought mine off ebay last summer and he told me to let it stay in the box for a week before I planted it. And ithas grown a piece off the side about as big as the one I bought and I saw yesterday there is a smaller one on the other side. I've had mine in the greenhouse all winter. Can't remember what I potted it with though.

o

So I bought a dragon fruit cutting (well less a cutting and more a very tiny "tissue culture") for a lark from Disney World of all places a couple of years ago, and have been stunned by how resilient it is. I've already repotted it a few times, but have been doing research recently to see how to take care of it properly instead of faking it like I have been. It's still fairly small (no piece is much over a foot), but I would like to get it worked into some sort of pot since I live in Ohio and can't plant it outdoors. In doing research, I ran across a few photos of people planting them in hanging baskets where they were flowering, but every place I've researched has told me they need to be staked up. Is it possible to grow them well in a basket like that, or is that asking for trouble and should I focus on potting them normally? Thanks ^-^

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of the hanging basket set-up

o

HI Ainnir
the photo you post, that's not a Dragon fruit plant, that's call Queen of the night, it only flower don't fruit, It's not a gơd idea to plant dragon fruit in a hanging basket like that at all

o

Ah sorry my bad. It was linked in a post that identified it as dragon fruit, so I assumed xD

o

My Halley's Comet dragon fruit reached the top so I snipped the tip off and within a few days 11 new buds popped out of the top foot.

o

A better pik of my Halley's Comet dragon fruit after snipping off the end. 11 new buds within days. Ft Myers

o

Better pik

o

Amazing.

o

LittleVietGarden,
I really appreciate your step by step instructions. I hope you don't mind but I saved them as a word doc so I can look at them at will.
On your single pole stakes, do you need supports at the top or can they just lean over after reaching the top?

o

brandon1971, you should cut all the new growth from the bottom, and just leave 2 left from the top, you should make a square frame on top to give it support.

to: tpacumio - of cause you can save it, you can re post it to other page if you like. about the support on top, it really up to u, they will hang over by itself, but I like to have a frame on top, as they will grow out like a tree, and with a frame on top it will give the plant alot of support, as it over 2 years, with a single pole, the pole may lean to one side, I will post a small model of the frame later, need to take a photo of it

o

Update on my 11 new buds. 10 are growing fast. 1 seems to be left behind and small. I planted 20 dragon fruit cuttings in cactus mix soil and put them under my porch roof. They received late low sun. Maybe an hours worth every pm. I misted with a water bottle everyday if I remembered to and 19 of the 20 have sprouted so far. Most sprouting happens between 6-9 weeks. My voodoo child is my only one left to sprout after 5 months but it is still firm and looks good so I expect a 100% success rate soon.

o

here is a photo of the model

o

Sorry littlevietgarden. This is the worst trellis support i have ever seen. Particle board exposed to moisture declines fast. Put a piece in a bucket of water and watch what happens over night. A dragonfruit rarely survives a trellis collapse. If you must use wood, cedar has natural rotting resistance. Treated wood wrapped with burlap fabric from Walmart is better. Otherwise steel, PVC pipe, concrete or motorcycle tires are long term. Remember to use special screws or stainless on American treated wood. Screws will disappear from the chemical treatment in the USA.

o

HI Brandon1971, hihih, it was only a model that I made for other views from youtube, that model was only about 30cm, very small, so I can hold it up to show them. they wanted to know what it look like, so the plant can become overhang like a tree. I don't know how long you been growing dragon fruit, you should cut off some of the new growth. you will fine that after each stem will be bigger and can grow over a meter.

o

I bought mine off ebay and they are growing like crazy. I had them in the greenhouse during the winter. I cut one piece off that looked like it was going to break and just made a hole and stuck it in and now its big as the mother pland and had little ones on it now and the mother has little ones on it too. I just used potting soin and fertilized it when I did the others. when I got it I was told not to plant it for a week so I didn't and I guess thats why its doing so well. It was from a nursery in Houston and I talked to the owner. Good luck everyone

o

My David Bowie cutting took 7 months to sprout. It was also the first time I did not use a Home Depot cactus mix that came with miracle grow in it.

o

I bought several types on ebay to try. One seller offered 9 rooted cuttings in 4 inch pots with soil for $22. Those are in my greenhouse and doing very well. Already have new growth and it's been about two weeks. These were red, purple and white varieties. I wanted some yellow to try so bought 4 12 inch cuttings. I cut each of these to 6 inches and placed in custom made potting mix that I use for my garden. I grow everything in self watering containers. Those have just begun to bud out. I also bought some seeds to try and have been using the papertowel baggie method to germinate the seeds. They went into small pots yesterday so the jury is still out on how well they perform but it's fun to experiment.

o

Please help, I just purchased a dragon fruit plant from Home Depot 2 days ago, I added some water in it the first night and leave it in a patio with direct sunlight, I then transplant it into the ground with 1/3 miracle-glo water retrained potting mix, about 1/4 of native soil, and the rest is cactus mix. This area have Part sunlight and shades, However, I think I planted it too deep, since the 2 lower leaves almost touch the soil, the plant is a bit flagging (not as upright and straight as the time that I purchased it), Can someone tell me are they dying? Did I ruined it by planting too deep and not give it direct sunlight? Please let me know how can I save this plant.

o

@ mike7381

If the dragon fruit was dead, you would know. It turns brown then black when it starts to die.

Dragon fruit plants can grow without water, light, and soil. They are cactus plants. They have plenty of water to keep them from dying. Just keep it in part shade, part sunlight, water it, and leave it alone. Water it every two weeks.

You can't kill it by not giving it light. It just won't fruit is all. But, I'm guessing, your tree isn't mature enough to fruit, it should be okay.

Once you see new growth, which can take a month to six months, then plant it outside. Just be patient.

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 11:45

mike7381,

It will also need a support of some type. It's a climbing vine cactus. Whether you use a stake or trellis support system, it will need some thing to climb on too. If next to the house, it will even climb that too, but stake or trellis is best. But, you would have to help train it to climb first. You can do that by tying the branches on to the stake, then it will eventually start climbing on it's own.

o

Couple of years back, hutch007 posted that dragonfruit grown from seed stayed miniature with two leaves & refused to grow. I'm trying to grow them from seed too, and hope for fruits in a few years, but I just wanted to share a strange fad which has developed in my country, Singapore, for dragonfruit seedlings which are kept miniature, grown indoors in cute small pots, & marketed as 'happy plants'. OK, I know we all want fruits, but I just wanted Hutch007 not to despair - if all you have is two-leaved eternal seedlings, you have a 'happy plant'. Would you believe the sellers claim they can absorb computer radiation?

Thanks for all the useful tips on growing. Some of the plants shown here are awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy plants

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 0:32

edels-

You might want to reconsider growing dragon fruit from seeds. It can be very variable in it's taste, pollination requirement(might not even be self fertile and you would need an other DF variety to cross pollinate) and growing habit. DF are very easy to grow from cuttings of a mature plant. Cut and just stick in the ground and you'll have a new plant soon and I've read that the longer the cutting you start your new plant from, the faster it might bear fruits for you. Seedlings are very variable and can take several years, while cuttings may take as quick as the first year to fruits, but can take a couple of years to bear, which is more common. Plus, you know what kind of fruits you'll be getting in the future, since it's a clone of the same plant you have eaten the fruit from.

But, if growing to try for a new cultivar or just for fun, then go a head and plant as many seeds as you wish. You never know you can come up with a better tasting variety and start selling back to make money back.

And, seedlings start out looking like regular plant as seedlings with 2 leaves, then as they age they will become more like how a regular Df plant looks like. Those dwarf Df in pots you see around your town and other place are most likely not grown from seeds, most likely from cuttings, to retain the same dwarfing effect as it's parent.

o

Thanks for the advice, soaht - I seriously will start looking around for some dragonfruit cuttings here in singapore. I'll keep my seedlings for fun to see what comes of them, but I won't invest too much energy and tears getting them to fruit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here