Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdouglas_gw

Miracle Fruit Tree - yellowing leaves

bdouglas
16 years ago

I received a 1 gallon miracle fruit tree about 2 months ago. Last week, I transplanted it into a 2 gallon container using a half mixture of high quality potting soil and perlite. I have it sitting on my deck table, under an umbrella, and it only gets direct morning sun. It has been about 90-95% humidity each day this month and I have been misting the plant twice a day and watering the soil about 1/week. The number of leaves on my plant has doubled since I received it, but now, several of the leaves have turned brown on the ends. None have dropped yet, but I am getting a little worried. The days here have reached 100 degrees so I am thinking that maybe it is too hot, but if I bring the plant indoors, I will have to rig up something to adjust for the humidity. Any suggestions of what else the brown leaves could be?

Comments (11)

• tropicaliste
    16 years ago

I don't think it's the heat. After all these plants are from Africa. Test the pH of the soil, these plants love acidic soil.

-Tropicaliste

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

Watering once a week in 100f weather?..everyday if it has proper draining mix is the right amount.Yes,i have grown them-ha.
    greenhouse weeds they be.

• Eggo
    16 years ago

I second Tropicaliste. Check your soil PH. Repotting it in potting soil and perlite does not sound very acidic. Miracle fruits should be grown in almost pure peat moss for best results.

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

I've got some seedlings in 1/2 perlite 1/2 peat, young plants, but nice and green.

-Ethan

• rredbbeard
    16 years ago

Everything I have read, and my limited personal experience, stresses that any combination of regular potting soil is fatal to miracle fruit. The recommended mixture is 50/50 perlite and pure peat moss, with good drainage, but never let it completely dry out. You can also add up to 20% used coffee grounds to the mixture. I'm using this mix on my larger plants & seedlings here in CT, and they are doing great. A little acidic fertilizer during the growing season may be a good idea too.

It sounds like the problems started when you repotted in the inferior mixture. Don't cheap out in this area. Let us know how you make out with this.

Good luck!

--Rick in CT

• bdouglas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for their comments. I did switch out the potting material and used 100% peat moss. This seems to have really helped and the plant seems to be doing much better. I will try some coffee grounds as well. Any suggestions on a good acidic easy to use fertilizer? thanks again!

• capcarl
    13 years ago

Greetings. One purpose of soil is to allow a tree/shrub to remain upright. How can a perlite/peat moss do that? Cheers.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Shouldnt be a problem if you use the correct size container for the rootball.

• younganj_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hello, I received my tree about a month ago. I re-planted it in a peat moss/perlite mixture. I mist it twice a day and water once a week. It is in our sunroom and gets a lot of indirect sunlight, temperature does not go below 70 or more than 85 F but the leaves are shriveling up and turning yellow. Any suggestions?

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

I agree with the others, Make sure the soil is very Acid, they love a PH around 5.0 ! As long as soil is drained, you can water them everyday , and full sun is OK.

My plant been in a container for about 2 years or so, and in the summer, I water almost every day, and put used coffee grounds in the pot, every once in a while.

The water I use has a neutral PH (7) but you may want to check your water supplies PH, it could be alkaline

• NebraskaSam
    11 years ago

Water it more often. as long as you've got adequate draining, your plant should be fine. I water mine once a day, and it doesn't have any complaints.
    I've got a grow log of my plant here: http://www.miracletaste.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=475

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Log

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!