Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guajiro_gw

Dot, Pickering, or Nam Doc Mai mango?

guajiro
12 years ago

Hi guys, I need your help. I'am making a trip down to Pine Island and/or Ray's nursery tomorrow to pick up a mango tree. I only have room for one more in my yard, but I can't make up my mind which one of the three I should go with. I currently have a Carrie, Mallika, Glenn, and Gold Nugget.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• squam256
    12 years ago

Dot is the best tasting of the 3, in my opinion. Very rich, complex flavor.

If I had to choose between the 3 and could only plant one.....I'd probably go with Pickering because of the flavor, production, and super-manageable size (Dot is a vigorous grower and gets some anthracnose). A lot of people LOVE NDM's flavor....I like it but prefer Dot and Pickering personally.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I would go with the NDM or Pickering. Don't get me wrong, the DOT not a bad mango and many love them but to me, and many others, NDM or Pickering are slightly better. All three produce a fiberless, very sweet mango. Dot is susceptible to disease whereas the NDM and Pickering are more resistant. The NDM is of Thai origin and never seems to disappoint, very sweet and flesh is silky smooth. NDM is a dwarf-type that with select/proper pruning can be kept to a nice 10 feet by 10 feet in size. The Pickering's claim to fame is it's coconut flavor. The nice thing about Pickering is that it is probably the best variety to give you a natural branching, compact size. Both the NDM and Pickering will give you a bountiful harvest of fruit. You wont go wrong with either one.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Hmm, I'd get a Lemon Zest instead :-)

Jeff

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

C'mon know Jeff, know you have just opened the door. I was answering based on his three choices. If this were a game of Joker's Wild, I too would go off the board for $100, or in this case, either a Maha Chanook or Coconut Cream.

By the way, my Coconut Cream is sending off nice new shoots and seems to more of a compact grower compared to the Lemon Zest. The Lemon Zest has not sent up any growth spurts but does seem to be getting larger. As you said, I agree that the Lemon Zest will turn out to be a larger sized tree. Now to just see how much it can be controlled without "hurting" it...

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA Off the board for 100 :-)

The coco cream might be just slightly less vigorous than the LZ, but the folks over at Zill's had said that it was a full growing mango. Don't put those pruners away just yet :-).

Jeff

• guajiro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanna thank everyone for helping me out with such short notice.
    I ended up getting the Dot mango in 3 gallon from Ray's nursery, just down the road from Pine Island. Below is a picture of it next to my Carrie mango.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

You can't go wrong with a Dot. One of my all time favorite mangoes. Good luck with it!

Harry

• guajiro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry, you had a lot to do with me getting a Dot mango. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

• fruitlovermiami
    12 years ago

I'm a little late here but GREAT choice with the DOT Mango tree. As others have said, some trouble with Anthracnose but if you can control that, IMHO, DOT kills NDM.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm