Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow mango from seed

Posted by sapote 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 15:08

In the past we had a debate about how best to germinate mango seed � without the hush seed cover or with it. While searching for a method to germinate polyembryonic seed, I ran into this website:
http://produsola.com/what-we-do_mango-propagation.html

As see here, the poly seeds are planted in the sawdust, and after the seedlings were about 4 to 6", they were lifted out and separated to individual plants.

I�m also interested of the way they used clear plastic tape for mango grafting, using splice grafting method I think. This is the method that I had succeed in the past on other trees.

I paid close attention to the nursery environment � the area was covered with green shade screens on the top and all sides. Is this to control the humidity and sun light condition for optimum mango seedling? Other photos show the workers in warm jacket, which indicates this area is not a tropical rain forest (mango natural environment). I think a lot can be learned from this nursery for growing mango outside of rain forest.

Sapote

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow mango from seed

Mangos aren't a rainforest plant. They're from more of a monsoonal/savanna environment. That means a distinct very dry dry season, and then the usual wet tropical wet season. That's why they normally flower during winter, the dry season. However, outside of the tropics the temperature gets to them and (if they survive) they flower/fruit spring and summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here