Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

My Potted Figs

ch3rri
12 years ago

I know this is not the fig forum but just want to share some pictures with you guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: More figs pictures

Comments (13)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Wow.....very impressive. I wish mine looked so well and were as productive. Great work. What's your secret?

Harry

• pepperot
    12 years ago

Nice ch3rri. I've never grown figs. Any interest in trading cuttings? Fig cutting for dragon fruit cutting?

-Tom

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Harry- there's no secret. I rarely have time to care for them. I just water the trees once a day. Oh, if you want to have figs, the you will have to do some pinching of the tips. For every 5-6 leaves, pinch off the tips. This way it will branch out and also induce figs.

Tom- I have two big pot of dragon fruit and for over 3-4 years already but they never fruit for me. I was thinking to get rid of them since they are taking up space and no fruit. I tried to pollinate but never work. I might have to do some severe pruning this year to get them into the basement for winter.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow those figs look picture perfect, do they have red flesh inside?

-Ethan

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ethan. Yes, the inside is reddish. It smell really nice and sweeter than sugar when picked very ripe.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey ch3rri, is Ronde de Bordeaux similar to "Violette de Bordeaux"? Your ripened fruit looks similar to the pictures I've seen of Violette de Bordeaux. Your tree looks absolutely beautiful and the fruit looks so juicy and sweet.
    Simon

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Simon. I heard they are similar in taste. The Ronde is rounder and can get to golf ball size. The skin on the ronde is very thin and the fruit is very sweet. My friends absolutely love this fig.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info ch3rri, I'll look for this fig if I can't get Violette de Bordeaux. I hope my tree grows as nice as yours!
    Simon

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice and healthy looking fig tree. I have a Violette de Bordeaux, in a 5 gal. container atm.

• zands
    12 years ago

Figs in a pot. Great idea which I'm going to copy. Brown Turkey fig is what you see in Florida in Home Depot. Saw some there but small size. I'll have to go back and see what the price is

• ejp3
    12 years ago

I have rdb and vdb, both in pots. Rdb is a much faster grower and ripens earlier, and needs less heat to reach it's potential, so in my zone 7 most years is better but vdb is much superior taste wise those hot summers, especially like last year.

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,

Here is my potted fig in a 50 gallon. Too huge to handle. It holds tons of figs. Not sure what I am going to do next year.

{{gwi:629248}}

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOw...that is big. You might want to prune it and then root the cuttings...lol. Or you can exchange cuttings with other people for other varieties...but it depends on what variety you have. A lot of people already have the common one. Or you can sell the cuttings on ebay. You also have to do the pinching after 6 leaves to promote more figlets during the spring.

My figs are loaded with figs too and I just picked a big bowl today. :)