Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, please! Can you identify this bitter fruit?

Posted by susanka (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 15:34

We visited Puerto Rico in early July. This fruit pictured was growing on a tree in a cultivated (landscaped) area. I tasted a minuscule amount and it was unbelievably bitter. The taste stayed on my tongue for an hour. Can you tell me what it is? I haven't had any success finding it. Birds seem to eat the inner brown part; the part I tasted was more from the light part nearer the outside, I think. This was the bitterest thing I've ever tasted! Thanks.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, please! Can you identify this bitter fruit?

looks like an unripe mangosteen

o

I've seen it before and I've seen it in Puerto Rico also. The fruit is larger than a mangosteen. I have photos of the open pods covering the ground. All I remember is the word "monkey" in the common name... but I could be wrong.

o

Definitely looks like an unripe mangosteen to me as well.

o

If it is bitter, sour, or tastes bad...Murahilin might be able to identify it!! LOL!

o

I can't remember the name...I will find out.
But I don't think it is edible (no one ever mentioned you can eat it to me).

o

my bet is an inedible Garcinia

o

Is that a pic of two different fruit or are they the same fruit at different stages?

Jay,
I just have a very refined palate and you guys just can't appreciate the quality fruits that I enjoy.

o

I believe this is the seed and pod of Clusia rosea or the Autograph Tree. It's not edible which would explain the taste.

o

LOL!! 6 against 1 Sheehan buddy!!!!! Your taste is no longer trusted! Let's check with Harry. The only thing "refined" is all the sugar you need to put on those fruit you like! I believe that is the "key" to this whole thing........ I'm on a roll. Here all week!

o

Trini got it!
Here is from Bryan's site:
http://www.montosogardens.com/clusia_rosea.htm

o

Don't eat that thing!!!
Clusia rosea is a tree found in the Caribbean, including the Bahamas, Hispaniola (such as in Los Haitises National Park), Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Florida.

The tree produces a fleshy, light green but poisonous fruit; once the fruit has split, the seeds are favored by birds and other wildlife.

This plant is cultivated as an ornamental plant, for its flowers, foliage, and fruit. It is planted in gardens as a fruiting and ornamental tree in sub-tropical climates, and used as a houseplant in many climates.

Local PR Spanish name is Cupey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clusia_major

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here