Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maspirasjr

shots of tropical fruits

maspirasjr
17 years ago

I posted this some time back in the tropicals forum, but I thought I'd post it again in this forum, where it would be more appropriate. For thoe who've seen them already, my apologies. Here they are:

From the Fruit, Nut & Spice Park south of Miami:

Spondias purpurea (mombin, ciruela or hog plum):

Antidesma bunius (bignay):

Parmentiera cereifera (candle fruit)-the fruits are actually pretty tasty, reminiscent of a fibrous sugar cane:

Mimusops elengi (Manilkara bidentata)-the fruits taste a bit like sweet potato:

Diospyros discolor (mabolo, velvet apple)-excellent sweet flavor, hard to describe but quite nice:

Diospyros discolor (sapote negro, black sapote)-tastes like chocolate pudding:

Both Diospyros species are related to the ebony hardwood.

Artocarpus heterophyllus (jackfruit)-needs no explanation!:

These shots are from Bill Whitman's yard:

Ross sapote (Pouteria campechiana)-this is a variety of eggfruit where the fruits are clustered-some horticultural taxonomists claim it is a distinct species of Pouteria:

Quararibea cordata (chupa chupa)-one of the few durian relatives that is edible. Said to taste like an apricot. The first shot is of the fruit (about apple sized) and the second of the tree itself, which is fairly large:

Garcinia mangostana (said to be the largest mangosteen surviving outdoors in the continental US):

Ditto this breadfruit (Artocarpus communis),one of few of this size surviving unprotected outdoors in south FL:

Lansium domesticum (longkong). This ultratropical from SE Asia happily thrives in Bill's garden. It was unprotected too:

Here is a very rare ultratropical fruit from equatorial Africa-Annonidium mannii or junglesop from the Congo. This is said to be a flavorful annona, and I can't help but think it must be similar to soursop. There is a description of it in Congo Native Fruits. It was growing in Bill's yard, though the tree sustained some hurricane damage. On account of the tree alone, it was very impressive-some of the individual leaves were up to 1 ft long!:

Pouteria abiu (abiu) This delicious fruit from Brazil tasted like caramel custard. It's one of the more tropical of the Pouterias:

Morinda citrifolia (noni fruit):

Pouteria sapota (mamey sapote):

Marcelo

Comments (11)

• plummy
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great photos! I am almost 100% positive the picture of the ross sapote is acually a garcinia. I may be wrong, I duno that's just what it looked like to me.

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Awesome photos! The Breadfruit tree is sooo cool! I need to discuss future goals with my little tree(G).

Can you possibly repost the Mamey Sapote photo? I see two of the Nonis.

I love seeing photos of tropical fruiting plants! Please post more if possible!

Lisa

• maspirasjr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Geez, my bad. Plummy, you're right, it was a Garcinia (probably G. xanthocymus). Had meant to post the ross sapote, but now I'm not sure if I had taken a photo of it, so here's a canistel (Pouteria campechiana)instead:

Here's the mamey sapote (Pouteria sapota), Lisa:

An immature Chrysophyllum cainito (star apple, caimito) fruit:

A giant miracle fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum)-apparently it's only the leaves that are larger than the usual type, not the fruit:

Finally, a before and after shot of my cacao (Theobroma cacao) and cupuassu (Theobroma grandiflora).

Shot in Chicago, April 2005 (cacao on the left, Herrania in the middle-it later died-cupuassu on the right):

The fruits that both the cacao and cupuassu came from. Cupuassu (March 2005):

Cupuassu opened up:

Cacao (March 2005)

The same cacao and cupuassu today (Aug. 2006) in West Palm Beach. The cacao is the larger one and the cupuassu is the smaller one to the right. My observation is that the growth rate of cupuassu under the same conditions is at least twice as slow as that of its cacao cousin:

Marcelo

• patusho25
    17 years ago

woaw, youve got great climate down there! A cacao fruit tree would have taken about 2 years to grow that high in here!!!!! LOL

• tropicaliste
    17 years ago

OKAY, Now I know for a fact that if anyone here won the lottery, their yards would look very similar to those pics above!!
    Imagine just walking outside and picking a Lanzone and Mangosteen and eating it right there!

Marcelo: You have got some great pictures of your plants and the ones you've visited. The things you can do with seeds, soil, and THOSE red cups! :)

• plummy
    17 years ago

Now where did you get your Herrania? What other tropical fruit plants do you have? Now with plants like the ones in the photos you know your lucky.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Great pics! THE POWER LIES IN THE RED PIXIE CUPS! =)

Marcelo, where is that mangosteen plant located at? It does not look like Bill Whitman's tree, I thought his was the largest specimen here in the states.

• john13
    17 years ago

Wow nice pics! Dont ever be afraid of posting to much pics I could look at these kind of pics all day! Does the cacao fruit/pod have any flesh other than the beans? And if it does is it good?

John

• tropicaliste
    17 years ago

Well since this post and those plants belong to you, Marcelo, :) :p plus I've never tried a fresh pod, I'll just say, some peoples (in South America) actually prefer the "fruit" to the seeds.

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Wow, awsome pictures! Every single one looks more delicious then the previous one. just beautiful.

• williamdent
    16 years ago

I'm little late getting to this thread but where did you get your hands on the whole seed pods? Are there markets (asian, south american, etc.) that sell them whole or did you order them online?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus