Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Malaysian Guava Tree

Posted by Goyo626 USDA 8B/Sunset Zone (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 18:33

I love guavas and was thinking of getting one of these since I have other types of guavas. Does anyone have any information on growth habit and more importantly the taste of the red Malaysian guava?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Malaysian Guava Tree

Yes. A vigorous upright tree, it fruits very quickly here in Socal. I'll take pics of mine soon.

o

• Posted by Goyo626 USDA 8B/Sunset Zone (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 23:22

How would you rate the taste of this guava? What are the prominent flavors? Thank you for your response and I eagerly await the pics of your tree and hopefully some of the fruit :).

o

I'm wondering where I could get this Malaysian Red? This is (with my big astonishment) the only plant I didn't find after almost half year effort!
No one would sell it, shipping to Europa, much less chance.
Is there any plausible explanation for that? Those small root cuttings or scions cannot make any difficulties to ship.
I really appreciate when someone gives me info.

Thanks

o

They need a hot summer to taste good. My one try had onion flavored fruits- or worse. The 2007 freeze offed it and another two blocks away.
I have to ask a ex Haywardian how his came out when he lived here. He's now in San Diego.

o

@ stanofh: how hot must be the summer for guava? I live in USDA 8a. Is it too cold?
thans

o

If your 8a central valley- you have the heat come to think of it. What you don't have are frost free winters. They will not take much below freezing. If you protect them they will be more cold resistant as the years go by.

o

how fast, that's the question. "they will be more cold resistant as the years go by." Pawpaw (asimina Triloba) needed a couple of hundred years to adapt cold hardness, I guess.
This is an interesting question by which species and how fast those climate adaptations happen.. thanks for info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here