Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my mango tree?

Posted by denise15 10, SoCal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:56

A few months ago, some of the leaves on my mango tree started to turn brown around the edges. It was the old leaves so I wasn't really worried but know all the leaves (including the new ones) have become that way. Is it a disease? Or am I watering it too much/too little? what is wrong with it? Thanks for your replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my mango tree?

How long have you had it planted...what's your temperatures like...how hot has it been and how often do you water? Have you fertilize it lately and how much...it might be sunburn if the tree is getting extreme temps or it could be hard water or too much fertilizer? Once the tree gets established and forms a nice canopy it can handle more extreme heat. Usually this time of year depending on the soil you have it might need water every 2-3 days...I have sandy soil (FL) so I water my young fairly new planted mango trees every few days...sometimes lack of humidity causes that type of leave burn as well...unfortunately, it can be many different reasons.

If you're able to take a couple of the leaves to a reputable nursery that sells tropical fruits they might be able to diagnose it much better...Good luck!!

o

I've had it planted for about 4 years. I live in southern California so it was in the high 90s a few weeks ago, now the temperature is mostly in the 80s. It doesn't have a large canopy so I guess it could be the temperature but I noticed that the leaves started turning this way before the temperature was extreme. I water it every 3rd day (more often if it is really hot) and I put some MiracleGro fertilizer spikes around the tree.

o

It looks to be over 5 ft tall, established plant. Still no flower yet? Doesn't look like a Manila.

I think it doesn't have enough water and nutrient. Make sure to clear all grass around the trunk 4 ft diameter, add 3 or 4" of mulch (don't let the mulch touch the trunk though) on the soil, and water it deep every 2 days in this warm weather. Normally this tree should already has many new growths at this moment.

Can you post a photo of the soil area around the trunk so we can analyze the issue?

Sapote

o

Denise - maybe sapote is on to something - how MUCH water do you give it when you water,and the soil, is it sandy, clayey, what? And I wouldn't fertilize it all for now, because it's possible it could be fertilizer burn as well. Pull any stakes out if you know where they are or are able too.....

Mulch is very important, too......let us know some more details....would love to get your problem solved!

maddy

o

Your lawn does look fairly lush. Generally lawns don't do so well in conditions that mangos like.

o

Ahhhh...I'm pretty sure If I have to guess the cause of it ts the
"fertilizer spikes"? I agree with Sapote... Mango trees are very susceptible to fertilizer burn and those spikes are one of the worst fertilizers you can give fruit trees ( IMHO)...someone on this forum used one of those on her Lychee tree and it showed the same damage as yours. I also had a neighbor that used it on her mango tree and it killed it...the tree was much younger than yours...If you can remove the spikes I would do so...water it well to flush out what's left in the soil and do not fertilize again till you see new growths or new flush...and then I would only use either Fish emulsion and Kelp and or "slow release type of granular fertilizer like Osmocote or Dynamite...I would also use them at Half strength...

Good luck and I hope it recovers...

o

Thanks for all your responses. I'm not sure what type of mangos they are. It's about 8 ft tall and has never flowered. I've taken out the fertilizer spikes, in case it is fertilizer burn, and have started to water it more frequently. I will see if this clears up the problem in the next few weeks but if you have any more suggestions as to what it could be feel free to mention them. I plan on fertilizing when there is new growth like puglvr1 suggested so if anyone has more recommendations on what type of fertilizer I should use please do so. Here is a picture of the soil area for those of you who wanted to see it

o

The trunk at soil level looks healthy. Was the soil area covered with grass invaded from outside before pic taken? I can’t tell the soil condition but I strongly suggest to add 3” of mulch ��" I used soil-less potting medium ��" on top of the soil, but don’t let it touch the trunk, one gal of water every day if it’s upper 80 or 90F, every 2 days if lower 80F.

o

Yes, the mulch suggestion is a great one...Slow release fertilizer sprinkled around the drip line...you can add a little bit of Organic Compost ( like sapote suggested keep everything off the trunk) several inches or the trunk might rot. You can add Fish emulsion and or kelp at half the dosage every 2-3 weeks diluted in a couple of gallons of water...

Any mulch should be fine...just avoid the dyed stuff if you can...

o
fertilizers?

I am not certain that there is a problem with fertilizers since where I live they do abuse of theses substances and the result is never that one.
I have had the same problem on a Mango tree and very rapidly understood the problem. Actually, my soil is to shallow what is highly problematic for a tree with a six -meter -deep principal root. Mango trees search for water very deep into the soil as well as they need such a root system to grow high (very high). If they do not have these conditions they remain very week plants and suffer very much from drought. If it is your case, plant something prettier and more adapted like a Surinam cherry tree or a Feijoia.

o

You sounded like from a text book describing a mango tree in an ideal tropical climate, and this is not necessary true for mangoes in other parts of the world with cold winter where the mangoes are not very high.

o

Too dry. Its been a hot summer all over California. And yes,mulch..the very top is getting dried out between watering's.
What you might try also is build a well ring around that tree...and when you water that forces the water deeper.You'll see a difference.
If I had to take a guess..that's a Valencia Pride...one of the tall fast growing Mangoes. Baileys Marvel also grows like that...but you should have had a few fruits by now.
More water= happy Mango tree.

o

I've had this problem with my mango. I got it last year and it's a grafted tree (don't know the variety, they won't tell you here). It was in a "stick" form when I got it. Around May this year it started growing branches and then in summer, we have extremely hot temps of triple digits here during the summer, the leaves looked like in your pic. Some of the new growth also looked burnt. So I believe it was the heat since we don't apply fertilizer during the summer months (that's what they tell us in the nursery when we buy trees).
In the pic below you can see the leaves condition if you zoom a little. All of the branches is a new growth only a few months old, so I hope it's nothing else serious.

o

When it's hot in the upper 90F it's best to keep the soil moist all the time by a thick layer of mulch and water it daily or even twice -- morning and evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here