Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluepalm_gw

Mango pictures

bluepalm
13 years ago

Hi. Here are some pics I took today at my father's house. All in all, a great mango-day.

Ripe Alphonso mango:

Ripening Lancetilla mango:

Bucket of Kent mangos:

Comments (13)

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More pics:
    My dad's Kent tree:

A neighbor's Valencia Pride tree (my gosh this tree is huge)!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow Bluepalm...Great mangoes and awesome pictures!! Enjoy them!

Your Dad's tree looks great and so does his neighbor's tree. Considering the freeze we had, he's apparently in a great location...doesn't appear to have any damage at all. Thanks for the pictures!

• enduser
    13 years ago

Bluepalm great pictures. Those trees look extremely healthy. What area are you located at?

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm in Brevard County, FL

• budershank
    13 years ago

bluepalm, I see you are in PSJ(I am current in cocoa beach). I heard that it is hard to reliably grow a lot of the tropical fruits on the mainland since you aren't as protected by the Indian/Banana rivers. Have you had any notable hardships with growing your mango trees?

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Budershank. Yes, I had a lot of freeze damage to my mango trees this past winter. These pictures were taken at my dad's (near the Treasure Coast). He lost some large palms in his yard due to the cold (African Oil, Coconut, Pritchardia), but his mango trees came through just fine...even the small ones.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Bluepalm,
    Looks like you have some great fruits to eat! Sure beats what I have for selection!!! Did you get your Maha Chinook tree yet from Frankie's?

• franktank232
    13 years ago

What do they do with all those mangoes? Sell them? How do you harvest mangoes in the one pic of the neighbors tree? Climb on the roof? Fire truck? :)

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Awesome pics! I'd love to hear a flavor description of the Alphonso when you taste it. Does it live up to all the hype for you?

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll give a taste report on the Alphonso when I eat it. As far as all of the mangos on our family's trees (Kent, Keitt, etc.), between family members, friends, and dehydrating them, we use them all! I saw the Valencia Pride owner on a very tall ladder with an extended picker a couple of days ago. She got most of them except for the upper 1/3 of the tree.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

A person almost needs a trained monkey to harvest those upper mangoes. Fit right in with the tropical theme :)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Great pics bluepalm, I've very interested in the taste description of the Alphonso mango as well. Your Alphonso mango looks just like the ones they sell online at Mangoz.com. I've never tried the Alphonso but I have tried the Kesar mango that looks very similar to the Alphonso and I loved it. Did you get a lot of fruit off the Alphonso tree?

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

frank,

on the bigger trees, i hit the mangos/twigs with a long stick and collect the fruit from the ground ;-)

simon,

i can't describe the taste of alphonso, but i can say that it's even better than kesar (my opinion). lately i've been trying sindhri (from pakistan). excellent too!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville