Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango pictures

Posted by bluepalm FL9b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 19:01

Hi. Here are some pics I took today at my father's house. All in all, a great mango-day.
Ripe Alphonso mango:
Ripe Alphonso mango

Ripening Lancetilla mango:
Lancetilla mango

Bucket of Kent mangos:
Bucket of Kent mangos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango pictures II

More pics:
My dad's Kent tree:
Kent mango tree

A neighbor's Valencia Pride tree (my gosh this tree is huge)!
Valencia Pride mango tree

o
RE: Mango pictures

Wow Bluepalm...Great mangoes and awesome pictures!! Enjoy them!

Your Dad's tree looks great and so does his neighbor's tree. Considering the freeze we had, he's apparently in a great location...doesn't appear to have any damage at all. Thanks for the pictures!

o

Bluepalm great pictures. Those trees look extremely healthy. What area are you located at?

o

I'm in Brevard County, FL

o

bluepalm, I see you are in PSJ(I am current in cocoa beach). I heard that it is hard to reliably grow a lot of the tropical fruits on the mainland since you aren't as protected by the Indian/Banana rivers. Have you had any notable hardships with growing your mango trees?

o

Hi Budershank. Yes, I had a lot of freeze damage to my mango trees this past winter. These pictures were taken at my dad's (near the Treasure Coast). He lost some large palms in his yard due to the cold (African Oil, Coconut, Pritchardia), but his mango trees came through just fine...even the small ones.

o

Bluepalm,
Looks like you have some great fruits to eat! Sure beats what I have for selection!!! Did you get your Maha Chinook tree yet from Frankie's?

o

What do they do with all those mangoes? Sell them? How do you harvest mangoes in the one pic of the neighbors tree? Climb on the roof? Fire truck? :)

o

Awesome pics! I'd love to hear a flavor description of the Alphonso when you taste it. Does it live up to all the hype for you?

o

I'll give a taste report on the Alphonso when I eat it. As far as all of the mangos on our family's trees (Kent, Keitt, etc.), between family members, friends, and dehydrating them, we use them all! I saw the Valencia Pride owner on a very tall ladder with an extended picker a couple of days ago. She got most of them except for the upper 1/3 of the tree.

o

A person almost needs a trained monkey to harvest those upper mangoes. Fit right in with the tropical theme :)

o

Great pics bluepalm, I've very interested in the taste description of the Alphonso mango as well. Your Alphonso mango looks just like the ones they sell online at Mangoz.com. I've never tried the Alphonso but I have tried the Kesar mango that looks very similar to the Alphonso and I loved it. Did you get a lot of fruit off the Alphonso tree?

o

frank,

on the bigger trees, i hit the mangos/twigs with a long stick and collect the fruit from the ground ;-)

simon,

i can't describe the taste of alphonso, but i can say that it's even better than kesar (my opinion). lately i've been trying sindhri (from pakistan). excellent too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here