Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Maha Chanook and Other Mango Tasting

hmhausman
13 years ago

When I first started posting in this forum a little less than a year ago, I told everyone that I would make an invitation to local forum members to stop by to taste some mangoes. The crop was a bitter disappointment, but here it is the first of August and I have a few extra mangoes to share. Anyone locally who would like to stop by to try some of what is available please send me an e-mail with your times of availablilty (like weekday evenings after 6 PM, Saturday mid-day, Sunday mid-day) and I'll try to have you over. There may not be the huge selection that I would ordinarily have, and there won't be much, if anything to sell (my fruit stand has been dormant since the end of lychees......longans will be ready very soon), but I enjoy sharing the experience of eating some of these different varieties with those that can appreciate the experience. Hope to hear from you locals interested. Take care.

Harry

Comments (31)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Sounds good. I would like to taste some of your mangos. Do you have any Tommy Atkins available?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL. Well, no, sorry, my Tommy Atkins tree didn't fruit this year....but feel free to pick up some under ripe, picked too early fruits from wherever and we can do a comparison. Actually, my neighbor has seven Tommy Atkins trees and is always offering me fruit (which she has trouble giving away). So, never mind buying any. I'll have a special plate of Tommy Atkins fruit ready for you.

Harry

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Harry! Thank you so much for the kind gesture. Too bad we're so far otherwise, I'm sure we'd love to get a taste of your mangoes! :-) Thanks though!

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Ooh I wish I was closer! I'd love to taste, but am too far away. Maybe another year I can plan to visit you during mango season. Thanks for the offer!

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I wished I were closer too! I would jump on this opportunity in a heartbeat!!

• pepperseed
    13 years ago

I am afraid to take you up on your offer, Harry, although I am sorely tempted. I am already out of control. I started out with the intention of growing two or three varieties of mangoes, now I have 17. I don't know what I am going to do when they outgrow the pots. The last thing I need is to discover another delicious variety that I "must" have!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't be afraid. Mangoes are your friends. The more the merrier. LOL.

Harry

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Well Harry, all except Tommy Atkins. BTW, I just bought a Maha Chinook...not cheap, and I owe the new obsession to (drumroll)...Harry! : )

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

nice score. where did you find one?

i tried a maha chanook at Harrys, it had a flavor alot like Edward, although many mangos were off this year.

the best Thai mango i ever tasted was an Okrung Tong last season. it looked exactly like this

{{gwi:1326670}}

delicate thin skin, fragrant, almost too sweet and citrusy sour

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blue Palm:

Do you really expect us to believe you without a picture?

Seriously, where did you get it, what was its size and condition and what did you have to pay for it....if you don't mind me asking?

Harry.....admittedly a bit of an enabler

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Congrats on your new tree bluepalm! And I'm just as interested in where you got it as everyone else=)

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

I bought it from Frankie's in HI...and unfortunately for anyone who wants one, it was their last one. Total cost w/shipping, etc. was about $135-140. I'll take a picture when it arrives.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Thanks bluepalm for the pricing info. That's out of my league - I need to do some learning on cheaper trees first=)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Yea Frnkies is pretty costly unless you can get a good sized order together. Hopefully they will be grafting more in the future. They were out of Rapoza's when we ordered last time.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

costly shipping is relative depending on your order when you compare their prices to other online nurseries like top tropical on their more exotic trees

• enduser
    13 years ago

Alright Harry,

It's only fair that you disclose how you got your Maha Chanook tree, and how much it set you back.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Frankie's purchase was pricey with shipping but well worth it if it is the real Maha Chanook. I'm going to try to propagate some for those that might be interested. Stay tuned and I'll post when I have anything available. As to how I got mine, two grafted plants were obtained and sent back from Thailand many years ago. I was eventually (after quarantine) able to plant those two small trees in my yard pursuant to an agreement that I had with the friend who held the import permit under which the trees were shipped. I guess it must have been more than 15 years ago. I didn't pay anything for them, directly. However, believe me, in the end, I did pay in other ways.

Harry

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

They are grafted trees that were brought back from Thailand (at least that is what they told me)...with the disclaimer that they have "never borne fruit...but we are fairly certain they are the real Maha Chanook." The cost is also because they are sent 2 day air, bare-rooted. Also, the next round of Quantitative Easing at the Fed is about to take place. I'm not sure that $140 will buy a decent meal in 3 years!...so yes, I'm justifying my high-priced purchase with the real possibility of hyper-inflation in the next couple of years. : )

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

wow, for that price i would have also got a kaimana lychee and average down the cost per tree.

if anyone local gets the itch to order from Frankies please email me (i can almost hear a mayong chid maprang tree calling Harry from here)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Bluepalm,
    I also bought my Maha Chinook from Frankies. I had searched and searched for quite a while for thisd mango tree. I had been told here that I would NEVER find one . It made my day to have them email me and tell me that they did have 2 of them. The funny thing is, they had told me back in June that they only had ONE left and if I wanted it, I had better order it soon or else I would miss out on getting one. LOL! That must have been there selling strategy, by saying that, they knew I was going to order it! I would have anyhow. My tree came in great shape. It is about 4ft tall. Lynn told me they would have tocut off about 6 inches off the tree to fit it in the box but she didn't cut it. She also told me that this guy had bought one from another island in Hawaii and he got it to fruit. She thought it must have been something with the part of the island they were at. She also told me like Harry's tree, that they had bought these from thailand and they would not be ordering more of them because of the problems with getting it to fruit. Well I feel bad now because my friend Bo wanted this tree but I told her that Lynn had told me they were sold out! Sorry Bo!! I have had mine for almost three weeks now and it still looks good. They do take great care in bare rooting there trees and also with packing them up and sending them out. I am really excited to see how this tree performs for me.
    Andrew

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

I think Harry told me he is giving me a Kaimana lychee air-layer and a basket of Edward mangos for my Christmas gift this year.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

'm at Key West now. Before I got here I stopped by Homestead and got a bunch of fruits. I got 10 lbs longan, 5 lbs rambutan, 5 lbs dragon fruits, and different variety of mangoes. Now I have to say Robert is here is a little disappointing because they only have a few variety of mangoes. And not atemoya at this time. Robert have mostly Kent mangoe. But I found another fruit stand that have a variety...but no Nam doc mai.

Harry- I will try to visit you on Wednesday. Maybe around 4 pm.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I just tried the florigon from Robert is here, Smith, carabao, and duncan mangoes from another fruit stand. We liked the duncan the best as it was sweeter, juicy, and tart. It was just a great mango. The smith was good too. It was a very large mango. I also like the carabao but it was a little more acidic. I think if it's ripen up more then it might be sweeter and better. I sure will eat the duncan, carabao and smith again. Didn't really like the florigon that much. It smelled great but taste is just ok.

I still have valencia pride, Van Dyke, and lippens mangoes to try.

The longan and rambutan are so good!

• reb1136
    13 years ago

Hate to bring up an older post, but can anyone tell me anything about a Van Dyke mango. How do they taste any pros and cons

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Reb:

Just by chance, I do grow Van Dyke. Fairchild Mango Evaluation book rates it Good to Excellent. For me it is more good than excellent. Its moderately vigorous with a large open canopy. Fruit weight runs 9- 18 ozs. Exterior is brilliantly colored when mature. Fruit is anthracnose resistant. The flesh is firm but is melting and juicy. The flesh is orange-yellow. The flavor is spicy and sweet with a strong pleasant aroma. It does have some resinous twang component to the flavor. It has little fiber in the flesh. The season here in Florida runs from July to August in a normal year. It generally produces a nice heavy crop. Other than that, I don't know anything about it.

Harry

• reb1136
    13 years ago

Thanks Again Harry

• squam256
    13 years ago

Tried Van Dyke last year. It is decent but somewhat unremarkable.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Squam...you might want to give it another try. There are descriptions that I have heard from people about Van Dyke...."unremarkable" would not be one that I would expect to hear when discussing a good quality Van Dyke fruit. Did you try only one fruit in only one year? That can throw you off. I wouldn't close your mind on the subject of Van Dyke's evaluation just yet.

Harry

• squam256
    13 years ago

It was at the fruit and spice park in Homestead. Not saying I wouldn't give it another try though. If I get the chance again I'll give it another chance, as I know its flavor is highly thought of by many.

• HU-45558374
    3 years ago

Aloha, I live on Kauai and have been unsuccessfully looking to buy a maha chanook mango tree. Any help?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting