Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

Pugging Valencia Pride - but where is graft line?

bradflorida
12 years ago

I just picked up a healthy Valencia Pride mango tree in a 3 gallon container, with the intention of pugging it, in order to encourage low horizontal branches right from the beginning, for a smaller growth habit for this tree.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/bradflorida/

However, upon closer inspection, I guess I'm not sure exactly where the graft line is. I assume that when these trees are grafted, they grow a turpentine mango, then attach a piece of budwood from a Valencia Pride tree to that. I am guessing that would leave two distinct markings: one where the turpentine and the new budwood meet, and the other where the original budwood ends and the new budwood growth takes off from there.

So that would mean that the original piece of budwood has its ends/markings on either side of the green piece of tape, right?

And the other demarcations/rings on the tree beyond that are just growth lines?

At which location can I safely make my cut, in order to allow for horizontal branching but not kill the tree?

Thanks!

Brad

Comments (23)

• squam256
    12 years ago

Pruning it that low really isn't necessary, imo. I would give it more space.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the illustration squam. I appreciate it :)

So the lines that are about 4 or 5 inches above and below the cleft graft are just growth lines?

I was thinking of lopping it anywhere from 12-36 inches above the graft line.

Brad

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Correct, those are growth lines. If you leave leaves below the cut, the chances of killing it are pretty close to zero. My recommendation - You could cut it very safely just above the 3rd set of leaves or preferably above the 4th set of leaves (right near the top of the bamboo stake). Cut it just a hair above the leaves and it will flush out with 3 or 4 sprouts within about 3 weeks.

Jeff

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Jeff has it correct...but unfortunately it is still a Val Pride, a very vigorous and large grower. In the words of Jeff, keep those pruners handy but also give it a lot of space in your yard.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jeff - thanks a lot for pointing out the preferable locations :)

bsbullie - thanks. knowing that it's one of the most vigorous of mango trees, I want to start the pruning right from the beginning, so I can keep this tree as small as practically possible.

The other issue is that I obviously want to repot it to a larger pot, so it doesn't become too rootbound.

Should I repot first and then give it time to adjust, or lop first then sometime afterward, repot?

The tree is from the large home supply store, where it was exposed to unfiltered sunlight at least half of the day. So I figure I will try to replicate that in my yard.

It was being watered each day by sprinklers. I plan on keeping this tree in a container for about 2 years. I'm assuming a light watering daily would be about appropriate (while checking that the soil is not allowed to fully dry out when I stick my finger in). Does this seem about right?

I just don't want to kill this tree ;)

Thanks guys for all of your help!!

Brad

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Valencia Pride just got pugged at 18" tall.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it will work :)

Here are a few pics:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/upload/albums/bradflorida/

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

It looks perfect. It will branch out very nicely.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jeff, that's reassuring :)

I was planning on repotting it up to a larger pot (a couple sizes up, such as maybe a 14" or 16" diameter pot). Should I wait a little bit before doing this?

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Assuming it is not currently root bound, and since you have just pugged it, I would wait till you get a new flush. After it has hardened off, you could then repot. From the picture, it looks like its in a 2 or 3 gallon pot now. As for the "new" pot size, how long do you plan on keeping in a pot before going into the ground ?

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bsbullie - thanks for the info. That is a 3 gallon container.

I plan on keeping it in a pot maybe 2 years.

Do I need any fertilizer?

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I would "normally" say up one pot size per year (i.e you could pot up to a 7 gal this year, then 10/15 gal next year). Yes, while in the pot, I would fertilize with a quality "fruit tree" fertilizer (I use an 8-3-9), applying a light surface application, 3 times a year or so. Just be careful, you don't want to over fertilize while in a pot and NEVER apply fertilizer in the pot when repotting or in the hole when planting in the ground. You do not want the fertilizer to have direct contact with the roots. Some people like to use a slow release fertilizer when in the pot to avoid any possible fertilizer burn. If you are careful I don't feel it is necessary. Once in the ground, fertilize monthly for the first 4 or 5 years with a tree that size.

You also might want to have a copper fungicide handy for any possible fungus issues. Some people like to use fish emulsion also. Once the tree is at fruiting age and to aid/promote blossoming/fruiting, you can supplement with a low nitrogen/high potassium fertilizer.

• zands
    12 years ago

This is the tag you find on all Zill mangoes. For mangoes the fertilizer
    should be doled out by the tablespoonful. Mangoes in a pot are more sensitive to
    too much fertilizer than ones that are planted. Half a tablespoon to one
    tablespoon per month will probably do OK for your size potted mango. Skip the
    cold months on November-January when there is little biological activity so the
    fertilizer will just pile up then release too much in the spring.

Slow release fertilizer like Vigro in Home Depot though there are better ones
    around with better NPK numbers such as the classic 8-3-9 that Pine Island likes
    and sells by the 50lb bag and less. Universal Supply in Pompano or Margate might
    sell that 8-3-9 with minors too. Slow release means the nitrogen granules are
    coated so they cannot quick release and burn your plant. The more expensive slow
    release fertilizers such as Vigro and Osmocoat have minor elements which you
    want. The quick release conventional fertilizers are 6-6-6 and 10-10-10. They
    are cheaper and fun to use on bananas. Farmers in Kansas and Nebraska are using
    10-10-10 they are not using expensive coated fertilizers with minor elements
    though they may selectively supplement with minors in other ways if a soil
    analysis tells them they must

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

The safest thing to do is to use osmocote :-). It's not hard to kill a mango with too much fert.

Jeff

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Is there a reason that you want to keep it potted for 2 years?

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff -

Do you mean the Osmocote that is 19-6-12?

Brad

• zands
    12 years ago

brad

19-6-12 from Osmocote has nitrogen that is too high and is probably for Azaleas and flowers. N is the 19 number. You could use less of it I suppose. N is what can burn plants. N is what explodes when people make fertilizer bombs which farmers have been doing for decades to blow up tree stumps

Home Depot carries Vigoro 6-4-6. Slow release N plus has minor elements. If you can find an older bag of this the numbers are 12-5-8 meaning you get more for your money. I have an old bag of the 12-5-8 that I am halfway through.

I am almost positive Osmocote comes in better numbers than 19-6-12 which has too high proportion of Nitrogen to the Phosphate and Potassium. A nursery might have it or get it for you.

Lowes might have something good. Check out what are called Palm fertilizers. They can have good (lower) nitrogen numbers + have coated slow release nitrogen + also have the minor elements such as iron, boron, zinc, magnesium

Here is a link that might be useful: Vigoro 6-4-6 fertilizer from Home Depot

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Zands. I picked up a bag of the Vigoro for now, at least to get started. From the looks of the leaves, there seems to be just the very beginning of a potassium deficiency (little black tips on the leaves) as well as magnesium deficiency (little yellow spots starting). I'm pretty sure this just means that my recently purchased tree needs a small dose of fertilizer.

I followed the instructions on the Vigoro container, but cut the amount in half, since it's a container tree.

Brad

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

your pictures and descriptions above do not look/sound like the deficiencies you posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mineral Deficiency in Mangoes

• zands
    12 years ago

Brad did you see and get Vigoro 6-4-6? Potted mango--Tablespoon a month except for Nov, Dec, Jan when mango goes into semi-sleep mode. Once you see one tablespoon will not burn it then maybe double the dose
    I have never read the Vigro instructions.

I scatter it on top then I work it in (fertilizer) with my fingers to half inch to one inch depth.
    Zill has the best idea which is to think in terms of tablespoons when doling out fertilizer to mangoes. You can see the Zill recommendations in the photo I posted above

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Personally, I would keep it on the surface and not work it down into the "soil". As it is watered some of the fert will naturally work its way below the surface.

zands - you've got mail

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just repotted my mango to a 16" pot, and worked in about half a cup of of the Vigoro 6-4-6 fertilizer (guess that was too much!) into the first 2 inches of soil.

Hopefully the large pot size will be a little forgiving :)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

I did some *pugging* to my 6' Alfonso, took 2 feet off, and it has responded very nicely.

JF

• zands
    12 years ago

1 US cup = 16 US tablespoons

Brad--- sorry to say but I would remove half the top two inches to be safe. Put it aside in a plastic bag and put it back in the pot a month. Also you could remove the top two inches, lay it out on a plastic sheet to dry and pick out all the fertilizer granules. This would take me one hour hour to do

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!