Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

marathon mango from mexico- amazing

lycheeluva
14 years ago

very coconutty!- amazing flavor and texture- got them from walmart by houston hobby airport. anyone know of a mail order source for a tree?

Comments (13)

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

I think marathon is the company name but it is actually a ataulfo mango.Does it have a pink tag?...I beleive ataulfo resembles manila mango.I planted 4 seeds a month ago and all have sprouted and 1 of the seeds have 4 plants on it..

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Nope. Definitely not an Ataulfo. I posted about the Marathon about a month ago. I agree LL it was great. I found mine at a farmers markent and the seller called it a kent but I am sure she didn't really know what she was talking about. Good luck on finding a source for the trees LL. Let me know if you do ecause I'll be ordering one as well. Someone in my old post said it was a Keitt, but it does not really match the pictures I have seen of Keitt's so I am not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: My post from before.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsv- ur crorrect- not an atulfo- my mango looked like yours too, though it was not big at all- in fact, it was pretty small. i think keit mangoes r supposed to get pretty big so i dont think it was a keit- could have been a kent. shame that fruit labels rarely include the variety.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Mine was huge. Probably the biggest mango I have seen. Almost double the weight of a tommy atkins that I usually see in the stores.

• eldys
    14 years ago

The Keitts from my tree don't look like those. The size is about right (very large), but my fruit have a more regular shape and at least some red blush to them. Also, the flavor is a bit musky when fully ripe (my wife finds it offensive), albeit supersweet and fiberless. It's a good mango, but nothing to write home about.

• saeed-usa
    13 years ago

We are wholesaler based in Delaware, USA. We are looking a constant weekly delivery of these Mangoes in Delaware. We are mainly interested in Hadden. Please contact us at sikander at asiatele dot net

• jun_
    13 years ago

i think Marathon packs several diff. types of mangoes. I"ve seen one box that looked like Kents and another looked like Haden.....yet they taste better than other brands of the same variety.

I sprouted a bunch of mangoes from Marathon seeds, looks like Kent, but not sure. The taste was excellent...but then I have never tasted a mango fresh off the tree, so can't compare.

• cath41
    13 years ago

If you're looking for them, I found a mango labeled "Marathon" lately at an oriental food store.

Cath

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Ive had Marathon Keitts that were horrible. you probably caught a nice one in season. Ataulfos are usually good.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I had one last year that I thought was great. Almost no fiber and a nice strong flavor. This year I tried buying them multiple times and ended up throwing them all away. They were all full of fiber with a watery flavor.

• David Shawver
    12 years ago

I picked up some Marathon mangos from the oriental market today and they are definetly ataulfo mangos. Says so right on the box. I plan to start the seeds in the next couple of weeks. They came in a case of 16 for $14.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bought mangoes today at Ralphs Market in Laguna Niguel in Orange County California and I kept the seeds. Cost was 69 cents. The label says Marathon/Mexico. I'll be happy if it is Ataulfo - Keitt is smaller fruit.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!