Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Plantogram order

simon_grow
13 years ago

I just placed an order with Plantogram.com and was surprised at the quality of their service. Their customer service was excellent and Mickey even sent me pictures of the plants I was inquiring about.

I finally placed my order today and decided to get an Alphonso, Carrie, Nam Doc Mai, and Tebow. I was glad to hear that they had the Tebow mango even though it was not on their website. Mickey was very helpful and even said he was going to throw in a free Kaimana Lychee. I can't wait to get the plants in! I'll update everyone with pics soon after I recieve the plants.

Comments (15)

• abayomi
    13 years ago

I've emailed them several times re phyto certs for export and while they were friendly up front, no response from them for weeks despite several follow ups...it started off so promising....

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Good to know Mickey is still going strong, enjoy your new babies.

-Ethan

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

abayomi, I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with them, did you try calling their phone number instead of emailing?

red sea me, I can't wait for my order to come in at the end of next week. Mickey is the nicest most helpful nurseryman I've had the pleasure of ordering from. He even sent me pics of a couple trees of each variety for me to choose from.

The best part is, he gave me a free Kaimana Lychee for ordering multiple trees. I've been looking to buy a Kaimana for some time now and I just can't believe i'm getting one for free! I'll update everyone soon!

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Congrats on your order. Mickey is a nice guy. I think the only thing that stop me from buying is the shipping cost. And I find that nipa hut mango trees are cheaper and I got two mango trees to shipped at only $18. They came in good condition too. Mickey was really nice to give out free trees to cover some of the shipping cost. His atemoya tree was pretty tall.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information ch3rri, I checked out Nipa Hut but unfortunately they don't ship to CA anymore :(

I'll update with pics soon after I get the plants in. The shipping for Plantogram is actually much cheaper than what I would have had to pay at PIN. I just hope they all come in good shape.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hello, Simon_grow. Congrats on your new order of tropical trees too! :-) Can't wait to see the pics! :-) May we also ask how much the shipping was to SD? We're looking to get a few more trees. :-) Thank you!!!

• nullzero
    13 years ago

garden,

I priced out the shipping for 1 mango tree at around $53 dollars. That was shipping to orange county. I decided to hold off until next year, since I would rather order 2-3 trees then just 1. I really want another mango but it will have to wait. Nipa Hut was a lot more affordable with the shipping it only cost me about $50, however Nipa Hut stopped shipping to CA (maybe next year they will resume shipping).

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Nullzero. Thank you! That was what we had figured too... But we were just curious about Simon_grow's comparison of the shipping costs b/n Plantogram and PIN... :-)

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

Hi Simon_grow,

Are you going to plant those tropical trees in the ground? Or they have to stay in a pot. Have you ever seen people planting Gardenia in the ground as well. I am about to move to San Diego area, so I am just wondering what I can do. I am living in Ottawa right now, everything I love stays in pots.

Thanks

YT

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Gardenathome, nullzero's estimate is almost right on, it was around 50 bucks or so. I ordered many Dragonfruits from PIN and the shipping was about the same but the Phyto cert was very expensive.

Hey yellowthumb, I will keep my mangoes and Kaimana Lychee in pots for the first year or two so that they can withstand our occasional morning frost better. I am not familiar with Gardenia but people are able to keep mangoes in the ground so if the Gardenia's temp requirements are similar to Mangoes, there should not be an issue.

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

Simon, how funny that you recently responded to my querry on lychee trees and today I stumbled across this old post of yours where you got Alphonso tree from Plantogram.com. Mickey is really a nice guy who picked up my phone at 9 PM. He sent me pictues of all trees that I was looking for.

Question for you. I am thinking about getting sweetheart lychee and Alphonso mango tree from him, but I was having trouble getting info from people here in So. Cal over their experience of Alphonso mango. Now that this post was year ago from you, you must have planted Alphonso and lychee and gotten some fruit as well. Could you please share some experiences and pictures? Thanks in advance.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello behlgarden, I got my Sweetheart about 3-4 years ago and it was from Ong's Nursery. I only recently planted it into the ground so I should get fruit in 1-3 years. It did flower profusely last year but everything dropped, I believe due to the strange weather.

I also only recently planted my mango trees I think several months ago. I ordered several mango trees from Mickey and my Carrie and Nam Doc Mai flowered and held fruit until I plucked them off. All my trees are small and I wanted to divert all the energy into veg growth. My Alphonso is doing great and it is currently pushing lots of new growth.

I will post some pics when I get a chance, I suck with computers and it takes me forever to post pics.
    Simon

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

That is awesome. why would your lychee trees take so long to fruit? Per Mickey, air layered plants fruit the same season as they act as matured trees. fruits however are at proportion to size of the plant you buy. Just curious.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

The Tebow mango is actually a Young. As it was named Young long before Timmy was even born, it should remain a Young regardless of what a certain nursery decided to do.

• squam256
    12 years ago

You will probably be disappointed by the Young (Tebow). Its a pretty bland mango.