Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

Any advice for my new lychee seedling

tamtrible
10 years ago

I planted the seed from a lychee I bought at the Asian market, and now I have a little seedling (I don't think it has true leaves yet, just the seed leaves).

Currently, it's in a 4" pot in my window. The window doesn't get a whole lot of sun. Eventually, it will probably have to go outside in a much larger pot (I live in Arizona, so think summer highs of a hundred and oh-my-god, no humidity to speak of, and winter lows that barely dip below freezing for maybe a few days a year)

I'd like to, you know, not kill it. So, any advice?

In particular:
1. When should I transplant it to the larger pot outside? And do I go directly from the 4" pot to the huge pot, or put it in a gallon pot as an intermediate measure?
2. Any special precautions I should take when I do?
3. Should I put it outside in the smaller pot at some point?
4. Does it have any special soil requirements or anything, or can I just use bog-standard potting soil?
5. Any special precautions I need to take about the summer heat?
6. How sensitive is it to freezing damage, if we're talking overnight lows in the high 20s at *worst*?
7. Will it be tolerably happy staying in a big pot for the rest of its life (it's... I think a 20-gallon or so pot, something like that, wider across than my forearm), or will I need to put it in the ground at some point?

Thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths