Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Mangosteen!

rayandgwenn
16 years ago

During a visit to a tropical fruit farm today, I tasted my first mangosteen. It was really good- I had to have a tree! I was able to purchase a 3 ft tall beauty for $40. The grower said it is slow growing, but I will wait!

Anyone have any tips for growing this beauty? I have clay soil- so I will augment with Promix. He said it grows best in shade, but needs some sun to fruit???? Any help here?

They had available to tatse Black Gold Jackfruit, Pulasan, madrono, 3 different star fruit varieties, white zapote, and a few other neat things I can't remember. Yummy!

I also bought a Jaboticaba tree and 2 lbs of rambutan fruits. It was a great day!

Comments (18)

• tropicaliste
    16 years ago

That all sounds so tasty!
    -Tropicaliste

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

Any update on the mangosteen? I am curious to see how much faster they grow for you in PR.

• erict
    15 years ago

I'm growing two from seed, and want to show you my larget one.

I prefer cactus soil, and I keep the soil moist - but NEVER wet - and plant it in a styrofoam cup. Keep it warm, but not too hot, 75-85 constantly.

Here's what one sprouting seed it looked like after 3 weeks:

That was August 08. Fast forward six months:

I carefully make sure it gets about 1/4 cup of water about every two days - making sure it never drowns nor dries.

I haven't fed it yet, although I'm about to increase the light from fluorescent to natural bright shade.

When it's big, it likes a lot of sun, but tiny plants will cook!

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

That's some pretty good growth in only six months. I have one very small seedling that's about the same age as yours but it has only grown one set of true leaves. I am hoping it picks up the pace now though. I just did an approach graft to it with a Garcinia xanthochymus so if the graft takes it should grow a bit better. At least I hope so.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My plant is doing well. I will get a picture out soon.
    It has grown about 1.5 ft since I got it (so it is abut 4.5 ft tall now). It gets a new set of leaves on a 6in growth every 6 months or so. I wish it grew faster!

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally went out an got a picture of my mangosteen. It looks smaller than it is.

{{gwi:1326917}}

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Hell...I wish mine were that size. Nice pic.

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

Good looking tree. I bet you get fruit before me and Jay and ours are grafted. Every time you post a pic it makes me wonder why I chose to live where I do.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks- I can't take too much credit- PR seems to be perfect climate for them. I am still learning- hopefully I don't mess these things up too badly!
    My mangosteen is also grafted. But I still bet I have at least a few years to wait before fruiting.

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

Sorry, when you said it was only $40 I just assumed it was a seedling. Now I am really jealous. Did you see Jay's pics from Thailand? He has a pic of one about a 1/4 the size of yours forming fruit so you might not have to wait as long as you think. Could you possibly get a pic of the graft site when you get a chance? I want to compare how healed over your graft is compared to mine.

• tammysf
    15 years ago

wow, i am super jealous of your tree as well. mangosteen are absolutely delicious. one of my favorites.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

RayandQwenn...did you ever get me email concerning your plant?

Looks like we will be visiting PR in July. Can't wait! J

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jay- no - I just checked again- never got an email- try again.

Jsvnad- I will try to get a pix soon. I looked at the graft site- it is totally healed- so it doesn't look like much more than a bumpy stem. The guy I bought it from gave our tropical fruit group a lecture and demonstration of grafting, so he was a pro at it. He had 2 plants for sale- the one I got was healed totally when I bought it, the other one didn't look as good. I was happy to get the one I got! But my friend bought the other and it is doing well also.

• adiel_g_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

rayandgwenn, nice tree. What was the name of the farm where you got your mangosteen tree from?

Thanks,
    Adiel

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got it a few years ago at a local guy's farm during a garden tour. He doesn't do gardening anymore and I haven't found anyone on the island that sells mangosteen trees since. And believe me, I have been looking!
    Best bet is to try for seeds during fruit season.

• tropicdude
    13 years ago

Finally got some pictures taken of my Garcinias,

My small Garcinia mangostana

a large Garcinia xanthochymus in container:

And a small Garcinia xanthochymus, I started from seed.:

I put dates on pictures so I can keep a visual reference.

I may try that mangostana/xanthochymus graft someday.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

TropicDude:

How old is your Garcinia xanthochymus and has it ever flowered for you?

Harry

• tropicdude
    13 years ago

@hmhausman the large xanthochymus I purchased from a nursery, and was only about 18" or so. I have had this tree about 2 years, so age is just an estimate. seems to be a fast grower, its flushes simultaneously on every branch giving it its pyramid shape.

This tree has not flowered yet. but have tried the fruit, the first time I tried it, I tasted one direct, it was sour and very acid. after that first taste, I thought about how it tasted like that frozen fruit concentrate, and ask my wife to prepare the fruit like she does passion fruit juice she makes, and presto, it made a delicious juice that everyone liked.

So I look forward to getting fruit from this tree, a little goes a long way. the tree is pretty, I would have liked to have planted it in the front yard but, we have a cistern and the house is rented, didn't want to risk root damage.

on another note, I was walking though the local "Jardin Botanico" and came across a tree that looks like a garcinia, had immature fruit that looked exactly like mangostana, I intend to go back take some pictures and put them up so people can give me their opinion. the only difference i could see is that the leaves were less pointy than those I have seen online for mangosteen trees, my seedlings look like those I have seen online also, so I am super curios as to what this tree at the botanical garden is.