Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trini4

Julie Mango seed-mango expert needed

trini1trini
15 years ago

About 2 1/2 years ago, I planted a Julie mango seed (after enjoying the mango). I was informed by by mom thereafter, that Julie does not grow from seed. Now I have this 12' mango tree but I have no idea what it is. Mind you, the tree grew 12' in under 3 years. Is there a particular root stock that is used for Julie mangoes?

Comments (13)

• murahilin
    15 years ago

Well here in Florida most mangoes are grafted onto a turpentine mango rootstock. I actually have a few Julie mango trees that I grafted from my grandmother's Julie mango tree in Trinidad. They were grafted a few months ago so they are still small though. I used turpentine rootstock for a few of the trees and the others were grafted onto random seeds and they all seem to be doing fine.

• dr_scifi
    15 years ago

You are at the point of no return,,,, Just keep it and if it is that big, in a year or two you will get mangos, It may be just like Julie or slightly different. However, it will have a bit more fiber than the real Julie. My friends mom is from Jamaica and she planted a seedling and yes she has Julie.

to be on the safe side, I would go to pine island nursery and just buy a three gallon julie from them. It should bear fruit in less than two years.,..

Hey, you never know maybe they will both produce mango at the same time ;-)

Try giving it the citrus fertilizer from home depot, it helps especially with the south florida weather, I bought a 3 gallon from them the other day, and a few weeks later it is bloomng!!!

Keep existing julie, and buy a grafted one...should bear fruit same time if your lucky. You can aslo buy the turpentine root stocks from most nurseries down here,

There stuff is the real. Good luck.

turpentine

• murahilin
    15 years ago

dr_scifi is right, I would keep the tree just to see what new mango you might get. It might be better or worse. Since the seed is monoembryonic you could get anything. Just because it is a seedling though doesn't mean it will have more fiber.

I wouldn't really use those citrus fertilizers from home depot though just because many of them lack micronutrients. Palm fertilizers tend to usually have a better mix.

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info murahilin and dr_scifi. I will wait to see what surprise mango I have. Thinking it was a Julie, I planted it about 10' from the house. I know, not smart. My DH won't let me chop it down anyway. I hope he plans on cleaning all the leaves off the roof. LOL

I have been trying to dwarf the tree but that only makes it grow quicker. So I just trim it out so it is not so dense.
    I have 2 Julies already but this was an experiment. I actually have about 12 mango tree...I don't know who will eat all those mangoes when they all start to fruit.

Murahilin, this seed came from Trinidad.
    T-

• Eggo
    15 years ago

That sounds like a very strong vigorous growing seedling you got there. Keep it and hope it produces good fruits. Or do what I did, begin slowly grafting the limbs to known varieties onto your tree...and keep one limb of the original seedling left to just see what it produces. I will be tasting some of my first seedling mango fruit this year, so far it seems like a keeper.

• robertoj
    13 years ago

Trini the location you chose can work with some summer pruning. Trim the tree to about 6 feet tall and six feet wide and if you keep pruning every summer you should have an easy to harvest Mango tree and you won't have to worry about the leaves on the roof.

• budershank
    13 years ago

The good news is that if it isn't to your liking you can top work it and graft a variety you enjoy. Since it already has the root system in place it will grow quicker.

That is of course, if the fruit it produces is not to you rliking

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I remember reading another follow up thread about this. It produced fruit more like Graham (another seedling of Julie)

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robertoj, I have been trimming it to keep it in check and it has been working great. While it is vigorous, it is staying just over 15' which is good.

Budershank, I actually rank this tree my #1 in taste of the 10 varieties that I have. Now I could be biased for obvious reasons :), but it is also not stringy, it produces a tremendous amount and since it's close to the house, the squirrels don't come around to get it.

Mango kush, I've been trying to find fruits of graham to buy to compare the taste, but so far no luck. I'll keep looking.
    Overall, I love this tree.

• Lorrobertson_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I planted a seed about 4 months ago and have a 14" tree. I want to move it outside for the summer ( in VA) but have read about a change in sunlight conditions damaging the tree. What do you think for mid-atlantic areas?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

MANGONEWBIE - I would move it out into a semi-sun/partly shaded position for a few weeks and then introduce more sun over time. But just remember. Full, naked all-day Sun on any potted plant will cook and dry out the roots and make the plant suffer, and Virginia does get some toasty summer days.

The change in light will probably stimulate more growth, and so, yes, I think you can leave it outside for the whole summer up until the first frost warnings. But just keep an eye on the moisture level of the soil and don't let it dry out too much between waterings....

And...they don't need a full 12-14 hour sun to do well and fruit, so that is the good news.....

good luck - MangoWoofie

• ltovid
    2 years ago

Whatever became of your julie tree? I just started two from seeds.

• Trina Daydionne
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Itovid, it fell in a hurricane 3 years ago. I trimmed it down to 4’ and it fruited again this year. I now have over 35 mango trees and its still in my top two favorites as far as taste.