Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would I be right to consider Baileys Marvel a hardier Haden?

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 21:33

Sometimes spelled Hayden-same tree?
Anyway's, my potted B.M. seems to grow considerably faster than Manila-although Manila has a track record of producing sweet fruit here in the east SF bay area.
And what about long term container growing-will they bear in pots? They sure grow lush in them.
Tommorow I can take and post pics-it has a nice red flush of its largest leaves yet @ about 5'. And the trunk is getting some girth for a tree it's size.
It's next to a wall that gets hottest sun all afternoon Hayward Ca. can make.
One important last question-are they alternate bearers?..wouldn't like that..but take what I can get-lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would I be right to consider Baileys Marvel a hardier Haden?

No idea if anyone has gotten a Bailey's to bear in a pot...but I suspect it is possible. It is a vigorous grower and, at least here in FL, tends to be somewhat anthracnose prone with regard to dimished fruit set. However, the fruit that it does produce is really excellent. In a good year, one of the best. And no, I would not consider it any more or less hardy than Haden.

Harry

o

there is some debate on whether Baileys Marvel is more cold hardy than other cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/68633.html

o
baileys marvel

more testimonial of Baileys Marvel cold hardiness

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12163

o

Please note, I said "I would not consider BM to be any more or less hardy than Haden." Of course, I am commenting on my personal experience. I have had both trees in my yard sustain, without any indication of damage, 28 degrees for a period long enough to freeze a 1/2 inch thick layer on the top of a nursery pot (2 gallon) half full of water. Now, what happens when it goes down to 24 or lasts longer....I, thankfully, can't say. On the Cloud Forrest thread, the poster seems quite sure that the original BM tree, at the very least, is more cold hardy than others. I am not sure what others he is referring to, or whether Haden is one of the others, but I guess at least some people think it is more cold hardy. I hope to never learn the truth of this from my own experience.

Harry

o

since mangos have been cultivated for so many generations on six continents, it only makes sense some would be more or less cold hardy. there has been no conclusive study that i know about however, it would be very beneficial for people in 10a.

o

The 1958 freeze conclusively proved that certain varieties were more hardy than others:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Damage Report, 1958

o

thats an old report so alot of those cultivars are pretty outdated.

interesting they concluded Keitt is noticeably less cold hardy then Kent

o

Ok-here's the Hayward B.M. Top of a 5'+ tree in a five gallon pot. It didn't drop a leaf all winter.But I have had Manila do that too,so the held breath it wouldnt get root rot or anthrachnose when warm weather(lolwarm weather here is 75f) returned.
The base of the trunk is just about the same as the nursery stake that came with the tree. Its bulkier than Manila at the same height so far. Like i had posted before-below the graft it suckers like crazy. At least 4 times this summer I had to remove sprouts.

Photobucket

o

where are you located stanofh?

o

In the east San Francisco bay area...warmer than San Fran,but much cooler than the hot central valley summers. In return, ma nature gives us usually freeze free winters while the valley can count on high 20's often in winter. Baileys with its extra hardiness might do great there.

o

Squam ,
Thanks so much for posting that cold weather report from 1958. As we all know most of the freezing weather occurs right before sunrise. But we did have that freak Christmas freeze of 89. The frost started as the sun was going down. So it does happen !
I will share that article with my gardening friends :)

o

I'm going to be REALLY mad if BM is freakishly hardy through winters..but is waiting for humid 90f weather to fruit!

o

Mango flowering occurs during the coolest months of the year and upon pollination fruit take 100 -150 days to ripen.

Rain and fungus is often the biggest problem with fruitset during this time

o

All of my mangos got nuked this year: Glenn, Alphonso, Dot, Keitt, Nam Doc Mai, etc. Next time (hopefully never) we have such horrible cold weather, I am going to run a big-azz sprinkler all night in my yard.
All of my mangos lived but they are damaged. I've noticed that a lot of the mango trees have new growth on limbs that were properly pruned back (because of cold damage), but even where the new limbs are emerging/growing, the interior of those limbs are rotten (the new growth is emerging from the bark/cambium layers). This phenomenon was really evident on my Alphonso. So, I had to do a second round of harsh pruning to remove seemingly good growth from underlying diseased/partially rotten limbs.

o

overhead spraying is good frost protection.

you should try to plant a baileys marvel, they are excellent mangos and you can tell first hand if its more cold hardy than Keitt (in winters that arent as drastic anyway)

if the bark is exposed on mango trees it becomes susceptible to fungal infection, something similar happened with my Julie

o

A family member has a Bailey's Marvel. Everyone in my family loves them (except for me). They taste as though they are artificially sweetened to me (saccharin-like).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here