Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Would I be right to consider Baileys Marvel a hardier Haden?

Sometimes spelled Hayden-same tree?

Anyway's, my potted B.M. seems to grow considerably faster than Manila-although Manila has a track record of producing sweet fruit here in the east SF bay area.

And what about long term container growing-will they bear in pots? They sure grow lush in them.

Tommorow I can take and post pics-it has a nice red flush of its largest leaves yet @ about 5'. And the trunk is getting some girth for a tree it's size.

It's next to a wall that gets hottest sun all afternoon Hayward Ca. can make.

One important last question-are they alternate bearers?..wouldn't like that..but take what I can get-lol.

Comments (19)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

No idea if anyone has gotten a Bailey's to bear in a pot...but I suspect it is possible. It is a vigorous grower and, at least here in FL, tends to be somewhat anthracnose prone with regard to dimished fruit set. However, the fruit that it does produce is really excellent. In a good year, one of the best. And no, I would not consider it any more or less hardy than Haden.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

there is some debate on whether Baileys Marvel is more cold hardy than other cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/68633.html

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

more testimonial of Baileys Marvel cold hardiness

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12163

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Please note, I said "I would not consider BM to be any more or less hardy than Haden." Of course, I am commenting on my personal experience. I have had both trees in my yard sustain, without any indication of damage, 28 degrees for a period long enough to freeze a 1/2 inch thick layer on the top of a nursery pot (2 gallon) half full of water. Now, what happens when it goes down to 24 or lasts longer....I, thankfully, can't say. On the Cloud Forrest thread, the poster seems quite sure that the original BM tree, at the very least, is more cold hardy than others. I am not sure what others he is referring to, or whether Haden is one of the others, but I guess at least some people think it is more cold hardy. I hope to never learn the truth of this from my own experience.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

since mangos have been cultivated for so many generations on six continents, it only makes sense some would be more or less cold hardy. there has been no conclusive study that i know about however, it would be very beneficial for people in 10a.

• squam256
    13 years ago

The 1958 freeze conclusively proved that certain varieties were more hardy than others:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Damage Report, 1958

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

thats an old report so alot of those cultivars are pretty outdated.

interesting they concluded Keitt is noticeably less cold hardy then Kent

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok-here's the Hayward B.M. Top of a 5'+ tree in a five gallon pot. It didn't drop a leaf all winter.But I have had Manila do that too,so the held breath it wouldnt get root rot or anthrachnose when warm weather(lolwarm weather here is 75f) returned.
    The base of the trunk is just about the same as the nursery stake that came with the tree. Its bulkier than Manila at the same height so far. Like i had posted before-below the graft it suckers like crazy. At least 4 times this summer I had to remove sprouts.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

where are you located stanofh?

Original Author
    13 years ago

In the east San Francisco bay area...warmer than San Fran,but much cooler than the hot central valley summers. In return, ma nature gives us usually freeze free winters while the valley can count on high 20's often in winter. Baileys with its extra hardiness might do great there.

• jupiterplants
    13 years ago

Squam ,
    Thanks so much for posting that cold weather report from 1958. As we all know most of the freezing weather occurs right before sunrise. But we did have that freak Christmas freeze of 89. The frost started as the sun was going down. So it does happen !
    I will share that article with my gardening friends :)

Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to be REALLY mad if BM is freakishly hardy through winters..but is waiting for humid 90f weather to fruit!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Mango flowering occurs during the coolest months of the year and upon pollination fruit take 100 -150 days to ripen.

Rain and fungus is often the biggest problem with fruitset during this time

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

overhead spraying is good frost protection.

you should try to plant a baileys marvel, they are excellent mangos and you can tell first hand if its more cold hardy than Keitt (in winters that arent as drastic anyway)

if the bark is exposed on mango trees it becomes susceptible to fungal infection, something similar happened with my Julie

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

A family member has a Bailey's Marvel. Everyone in my family loves them (except for me). They taste as though they are artificially sweetened to me (saccharin-like).

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There is ZERO reason to plant a Haden there are so many very similar, but superior varieties today. If Haden was to be released today it would never have become famous. It's not 1940 anymore. Valencia Pride is just one Haden crosses that is much better in every respect if you want a Mango that still tastes like a traditional basic Haden. Kent & Valencia Pride are probably the two best trees for traditional, but superior Haden flavor. Both are offspring of Haden.

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A Bailey's Marvel is an "improved" Haden and descended from Haden. Possibly sweeter or "candy like" from the reviews I've read. Flavor & texture is superior to Haden and well liked, but BM may be a bit harder to get established from what I've read. Kent or VP may be better options if you want a fast growing, trouble free cold hardy tree with traditional Haden flavor. I think Kent is probably your best option. VP is cold hardy, grows fast, but will get to 50' with age - just like a Haden. Your children will eventually need to call the fire department to pick them if not topped periodically. I think Kent stays at a more manageable height. People who have tasted both Kent & VP give the edge to Kent. Kent I have heard may be a more manageable tree when it comes to height. VP is a larger fruit and possibly fastter growing and slightly more cold hardy.

stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area thanked nighthawk0911
    Original Author
    7 years ago

B.Marvel has been for me a fast grower in Mango tree's in the bay area terms. It was cut down in 2012 to a stick..and now is a healthy 7' x5' with more to go this year.

Funny thing is Nighthawk I bought some Gigantic Kent's at the Asian Market for $2.00 each..and they were worth it. They melted like butter. I doubt I have the climate to ever get 2 pound Mango's but..give it a try via the seeds.