Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandwater101

So. Cal. Tropical fruits garden

grandwater101
10 years ago

This season is productive. Longan and cherimoya are bearing many fruits. Mando tree though small have a few fruits too. I hope my pictures encourage one to start gardening.

Comments (14)

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cherimoya

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mangos

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grafted cherimoya

• Dexter_FTG
    10 years ago

Lookin good so far!

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Nice job Grandwater! Where in Socal do you live???

Love the mangoes - what kind are they?

mangopooch

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Walnut. The weather is good but I think Santa Ana has better weather. I have seen very heathy tropical plants there.

My mango is an Indian mango. It is three feet tall.

• soaht
    10 years ago

Grandwater,

You're in zone A or B? How big is your longan and cherimoya and do they need protection and do they suffer from yearly winter frost some nights? I'm in Fresno 9b, have both of those tree, just wanted to make sure they will be ok in the winter. And are you inland or coastal?Thanks for your reply.

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not far from the beach , 30 minutes drive. My area is a zone 9. The longans get about 1inch diameter and cherimoyas get to about 1-1.5 lb.

• soaht
    10 years ago

You're not too far from the coast, I see. I guess you don't have frost very often, if ever, but thanks for replying. I'll just have to give a little protection, until the tree get mature enough, to protect it self.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

His zone is most likely a zone 10b usda and a Sunset zone 22 or 23.
    I have a 3' Mango in the bay area and its about 73f right now as I type...about 90f in Walnut Ca. And why my work is cut out for me with heat lovers lol.

• soaht
    10 years ago

Stan,
    Thanks for your input, I wouldn't have to worry about any heat problem here in the Central Valley of Fresno. I'll just have to worry about the occasional frost a few nights, in the winters down here. Remember the heat wave last month? Well, it was way over 100F for most of the July month. We had the highest temps reach close to 120F, it was 117F(but, this year isn't a normal summer year, it's usually only reach 104F a few times in the regular summers). So no heat problems for any heat loving plants. Now, it has return to normal in the med-high 90's. But, every year, it seems to get warmer down here in Fresno, during the winter, last year it was only ever below 35F once, which was in Jan, a low of 28F. The yearly average low is usually in the high 30's.

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The season is not over yet for grafting. I am going to combine three types of cherimoya. I will show its picture in 3-4 weeks.

• grandwater101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please share a picture of you fruit tree

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Mango's love heat...and warm nights. I notice flowering can start in quite cool weather- early spring,as early as February. But the growth doesn't really kick in until June. At least a first flush,the second around the end of July,early August second flush. And maybe a third in the bay area around October. Mango's that have fruited are pretty weak the next year here. They need a rest. Its important to protect them the winter after a fruiting. In the soucal deserts..different rules might be invoked.
    So far the largest Mango in the bay area that has fruited in ground has been around 10-12'. They don't outgrow a yard. Ever.