Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

male papaya blooms

karyn1
15 years ago

I lost all but one of my papayas when I lost power in the GH last winter. My survivor started blooming but I think they are male flowers. Is there any possibility that it's a hermaphrodite or is there any way to turn it into one? I have a few more papayas started but they are nowhere near blooming size.

Karyn

Comments (11)

• murahilin
    15 years ago

Papaya plants have been known to change sex. Some plants will have male and female flowers and some might have perfect flowers. Also male plants have changed to female plants. The link I provided mentions how to possibly change the sex. Hopefully you will be able to get your plant to produce some female flowers. If not you should look into buying the seeds that are guaranteed to be either female of bisexual. That would make it a lot easier not having to worry about wasting time and space on male plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaya - CRFG

• rayandgwenn
    15 years ago

That looks like male. I have had a male give me fruit once, but it was not impressive- 1 fruit for 2 years worth of waiting....
    As Murahilin said - buy the seeds from Hawaii. I did and now have lots of yummy fruit. I can sned you some, but ....
    But here is my question:
    I have all different types of papaya growing. Solo, Mexican,Carribean Red, Maridol etc. Some are Herms, some females, and I still have a few males in the yard.... How do I know the seeds from these fruit will be any good (not produce male)? The flowers could have been fertilized by another "type" of papaya.
    Anyone know?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't even remember what variety this is. I had a few growing from seeds that I bought from Trade Winds. I've grown papayas before and had fruit which I don't even care for that much but it's one of the few tropical fruits that I can get to produce in the greenhouse. I have a serious case of zone envy. lol I really want to be in 10 or 11, not 7. Murahilin thanks for the link.
    Karyn

PS: Gwenn did you get my email about the USDA research station in PR?

• rayandgwenn
    15 years ago

Karyn- I did get it- I am way lazy with email replies lately- sorry.
    But you might want to contact them about Papaya seeds also. I went on a tour of the USDA station with Dr English- great guy and interesting place. I believe they are doing a bunch of research with papayas too.
    I get my papaya seeds from Alohaseed.com A little pricey, but the best tasting fruit and all female or herm plants.

• murahilin
    15 years ago

Gwenn,
    For you it might be harder to stop your plants from producing male seeds because you are in PR where your female and bisexual plants can be pollinated by plants other than your own. The first thing I would do though is to cut down all your male plants so it will be harder for your plants to be pollinated by a male plant. The way to ensure that you only get female and bisexual plants is to only have female or bisexual plants pollinating each other. If there are any males then you have a chance of getting male seeds.
    btw, how is that cherry of the rio grande doing?

Karyn,
    I usually do not care much for papaya either but earlier this year I tasted a papaya that tasted like a melon without any of the usual papaya taste or flavor. It was by far the best tasting papaya i've ever had. I am growing the seeds from that fruit hoping I will get the same characteristics in the plants. If you would like, once I get fruit from it I can send you some seeds.

• rayandgwenn
    15 years ago

Ha- It was Dr. Irish not English, though he did give the tour in English (which was very helpful for me!).

Murahilin- If I get rid of my males, my females can be pollinated by the herms? I assume so, but just checking!
    It is hard to kill them- when I chop them down, they just regrow more plentiful from the base. Males seem to be the most vigorous and tenacious plants.

And the CORG is doing beautifully well. No fruit yet, but lots of new growth.

• murahilin
    15 years ago

You're correct. The bisexual plants should pollinate the female ones.

The only way you might be able to get rid of them is to just dig em out.

Do you have any papaya varieties that don't have the usual papaya taste but instead are more melon like?

• rayandgwenn
    15 years ago

I kind of like papaya, but have found the darker the red,the better I think it tastes.
    I have one (don't know the variety though I think it is a Sunset or a Maradol) that is sweet. My husband, who usually dislikes them very much (says papayas taste like feet) likes it, so it is pretty good. Can't say it tastes like a melon though.
    I can send you seeds if you'd like.

• susana_acc_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

hi ! i just found this website. i have been looking for the male papaya seed all over but could not found any. does anyone know where can i get it from? or anyone wants to give away their male papaya or sell it? let me know! thank you guys!

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Currently there is no way to distinguish male papaya seeds from the other papaya seeds. Why are you looking for male papaya seeds? In a group of seeds there will usually be enough males unless they are "feminized" seeds which will have female and hermaphrodite seeds and you will not need male seeds because the hermaphrodite will do the pollination.

• rodneys
    13 years ago

Here's a link that you might find useful

Here is a link that might be useful: Why some papaya plants fail to fruit

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus