Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deformed New Growth on Tropicals

Posted by jwthought81 S.FL 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 22:30

Hey all,
First post here. Really informative site and I look forward to getting to know you all.

I've planted a tropical mini-orchard in my yard and I've recently noticed some curled or deformed new growth on a few of my trees. The varieties in question are fantastic avocado, two sugar apple trees and a guanabana tree. They have all recently been pruned/tipped about a month ago and then again about 1 week ago (probably too soon).

I've also given the same treatment to two mango trees but they have not shown any problems. Additionally, none of the trees had this issue after the initial pruning,

Each tree is planted about 8-10 apart and I water them with aquaponic water. Occasionally, they get additional fertilizer in the form of emulsion from my black soldier fly bin. I see no sign of pests.

We've also been experiencing a good deal of rain. Im thinking either over-watering or over fertilization. I will post some photos tomorrow, but I was hoping that someone might have a suggestio in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deformed New Growth on Tropicals

might be too much fertilizer. i'd suggest laying off the fertilzers for now, since they're in ground and don't need to be feed that often.

might be mites, very tiny pests. take a magnifying glass and inspect them closely.

o
RE: Deformed New Growth on Tropicals

Thanks. I think I agree with the over-fertilization idea. I've since done some research on bsfl leachate ( i said i used emulsion which is incorrect, I actually use the leachate) and evidently it needs to be diluted heavily to be safe. I had been using it almost in its raw form!

Im keeping my eyes open for mites or signs of them, but nothing yet. I havent broken out the magnifying glass yet tho.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here