Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting reluctant carambola to fruit

Posted by gnappi 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 23:09

I know a lot of you go through this, and wanted to give you all a glimmer of hope. I'm not suggesting that this would work with other fruit trees, but it can't hurt.

I have two carambola (A Kari and a Bell) who bore lots of fruit in pots and have been in the ground 8 months or so who refuse to produce flowers or ultimately fruit. I've tried everything I read about without success till now... it's been on the tip of my nose all the time.

Was it water? Fertilizer? Soil? Pruning? Nice talk? Calssical music? No, nope, none of these. Being from an ethnic background where threats work against innocent shopkeepers I thought I'd try that. No not threaten shopkeepers, threaten the trees.

With my GF in hand to defend them I did the "listen you dirty rats" routine and dragged a little 3' tall Kajang carambola out with a few flowers on it and said "the one that gives me fruit gets to stay in the ground, the other... and I mad a sawing motion at the base of one and said, "I hope you get the message". Then told Kajang to get ready to go into the ground.

Well, let me tell you, the little Kajang literally ERUPTED with new flowers over night in anticipation, and the Kari erupted with a couple of dozen flowers in two more days.

The Bell is defiant to the end, how sad.

So there you have it, the Sopranos routine. Use it or not, but bear in mind YOUR wife or GF should not be there when you do it, mine was upset with me! :-)

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting reluctant carambola to fruit

HAHAHAH Yah, the bell, while a super yummy carambola, does seem to be a little less productive than the Kari, based on my own growing observation.

Jeff

o

bend the branches until they kinda "snap" but dont break, in season this will prevent the branch from growing further and induce flowering and if pollinated fruiting

o

• Posted by jun_ 8b-9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 18:11

lmao! I know it's funny, but I have seen so many incidences of trees fruiting after someone threatens them.

Has anyone ever seen the "secret life of plants".

It's scientifically shown that plants respond to our emotions. They threatened a plant and it made a spike in the electromagnetic response machine, much like a polygraph.

Weird, but true.

as for my carambola, it always flowered too early, and the flowers would fall off due to the cold. The year I put my house up for sale, it decided to flower one month later than normal,escaping the frost. I didn't know I had fruit until they dropped to the ground....and I realized I had four large bunches of fruit, some were up to 8" long.

o

The Secret Life of Plants is an old documentary detailing the work of Jagadis Chunder Bose

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGRluepFwdg

o

I've been hand pollinating the little Kajang as flowers emerge and have three little fruits on it. The Kari flowers have opened and I have pollinated them as I did with the Kajang but see no fruit developing yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed... and my axe sharpened :-)

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here