Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rollinia hardiness

Posted by jun_ 8b-9a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 23:35

I found rollinia trees at a local nursery in Houston but undecided if I should get it. I am a little confused, some sources say they are relatively hardy, others say they are ultra tropical.....which is it? Anyone have experience getting them to fruit in a pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rollinia hardiness

i would bet its somewhere between a soursop which is sensitive and an anona which is more hardy.

a cold tolerant anona would be Cherimoya

o

• Posted by jun_ 8b-9a (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 12:14

mango_kush, your list of trees on your page is impressive. you must have a huge yard. How big is your rollinia tree?

What is your favorite mango flavor wise? I probably have room for one potted mango.

o

im only on about 1/4 acre

a square 1/4 acre gives you about 50 foot of fenceline on each side, all my medium upright canopy mangos like the asian varieties are around my east fenceline, the Lychees are in the back, the Jackfruit are in a row on the West and my anonas are in the north front yard. all my trees are spaced 10 foot from one another with the largest ones like Jackfruits farthest from the house.

my citrus are all in 25 gallons on my patio. my bananas kind of hedge around the house with other tropical plants, im trying to propagate more passionfruit vines to cover my fenceline

sounds like alot but many people have overgrown tropical gardens here, the shade is definitely nice if you can keep up with the hurricanes.

o
best mango

oh and my trees are all juvenile since i recently moved down here, here is Rollinia biriba
Photobucket

which mango is my favorite is such a difficult question since at their peak of flavor in a good year they are so distinct, Carrie, Mallika, Okrung Tong, even a Champagne at its peak are all perfect in their own right. now you see why i grow so many of them

I would recommend you grow a Pickering since it is by far the most productive dwarf and would produce the most amount of excellent flavored mangos in a 20 gallon container

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here