Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

The end of the Mango Season :(

bradflorida
12 years ago

I just made one final trip to Pine Island (the only commercial mango growing area I know of in Southwest Florida) to buy mangoes.

There was just one last holdout place that was still selling Keitts. They informed me that this was probably going to be their last weekend selling the mangoes, as there were not that many left on the trees at this point.

Each time I go to Pine Island, I seem to learn something else about mangoes.

I learned a more reliable way to judge a mango's ripeness: it is ready when the top shoulders are soft, as this is the last part to soften. I had been having a hard time with knowing exactly when a mango was at its optimal ripeness, especially with the larger (4lb) Keitts, as I would often cut them too early.

I also learned that you can tell when a mango is ready to be picked from the tree when the stem leading to the mango goes from green to brown, because at this point the mango is no longer receiving nutrients/sugar from the tree.

Harry - when are your Neelums typically ready? Is that the last holdout for you this year? Sick of mangoes yet?!

Brad

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert