Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The end of the Mango Season :(

Posted by bradflorida none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 0:42

I just made one final trip to Pine Island (the only commercial mango growing area I know of in Southwest Florida) to buy mangoes.

There was just one last holdout place that was still selling Keitts. They informed me that this was probably going to be their last weekend selling the mangoes, as there were not that many left on the trees at this point.

Each time I go to Pine Island, I seem to learn something else about mangoes.

I learned a more reliable way to judge a mango's ripeness: it is ready when the top shoulders are soft, as this is the last part to soften. I had been having a hard time with knowing exactly when a mango was at its optimal ripeness, especially with the larger (4lb) Keitts, as I would often cut them too early.

I also learned that you can tell when a mango is ready to be picked from the tree when the stem leading to the mango goes from green to brown, because at this point the mango is no longer receiving nutrients/sugar from the tree.

Harry - when are your Neelums typically ready? Is that the last holdout for you this year? Sick of mangoes yet?!

Brad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The end of the Mango Season :(

Mango season has been long done On the East coast of Florida. Yes, we should normally still have mangoes available through September but not this year. This year has been a very abnormal year for almost all tropical fruit. the winter and "spring" weather through a major wrench into into the normal production times of the fruit. Many types ripened much earlier than normal and a much sorter season than normal. Every variety seemed to ripen all at once. Neelums should be around in the month of September as a few other of the mate varieties but sadly not this year.

o

Neelum, usually the last mango cultivar to hold fruit at my house, usually bears in August through September. The problem with it (and all late season fruits) is that they are decimated by birds and therefore, if they are not picked by early September, they are totally destroyed by the birds. This year, oddly enough, aside from Keitt and Neelum, the usual late fruiters, I have a very late crop of Pettigrew mangoes. This is an older cultivar that I picked up years ago from somewhere. It actually still has fruits on the tree while the others mentioned have all finished.

Harry

o

It seems like the Keitt mangoes that I was getting on Pine Island got sweeter at the end of their picking season. Makes sense I guess, as more sugar had time to get into the mangoes from the tree...

Just made one of my last Keitt smoothies. It was REALLY good!

Brad

o

Harry, how are your Pettigrews this year?

Have always heard good things about the Pettigrew though I have yet to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here