Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hey enochen

Posted by phucvu 10 b oc ca (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 2:17

how long for the cherimoya cuttings to grow roots?

i took about 3 cuttings of my aunt's tree and probably the wrong branches, because everybody told me they were too young. it has been a week now and so far it looks like they're dying.

also horrible luck on the sugar apple seeds. i got them to germinate, but one got some kind of fungus and rotted and the other one started to grow, but the part where the leaves emerge also rotted and now i have the root and about 3 inches of growth without any leaves so probably gonna die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hey enochen

Hi,

Cherimoya is not propagated by cuttings. Usually, one would raise cherimoya seedlings and then graft them with a named variety.

Young seedlings are very sensitive to a condition known as damping off, often resulting from too much soil moisture and poor air movement/ventilation.

It easy to kill seedlings by giving them too much water, rather than by keeping them a bit on the dry side.

Also, do not fertilize seedlings until they have several leaves, then start with a weak dosage.

o

Hi,Phuc,
It was one time I trimmed all the shoots (~10) from rootstock ( I believe it is some kind of Cherimoya) and just inserted them to pots (under the shade of a big tree). They all seemed to grow well in the beginning of 1~2 months. I think it was the soil that caused fungus to kill all of them except one. I couldn't remember exactly how long it would grow root Until one year later I repotted and found it had quite a root underneath. So cutting of cherimoya can be propagated.
Later I grafted my atemoya on top and gave it to my friend.

~Enoc

o

hmm then it's a slim chance.

but it's ok i like sugar apple more than the rest anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here