Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango_kush

Salacca magnifica, Salak

mango_kush
13 years ago

anyone growing it or try the fruit and have an analysis? as much as i hate TT im tempted to get a Salacca variety "pondoh"

$40 is kinda steep but its definitely rare to find a known named variety

i would REALLY like to find and propagate Salak Gula Pasir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salak

Salak (Salacca zalacca) is a species of palm tree (family Arecaceae) native to Indonesia. It is a very short-stemmed palm, with leaves up to 6m long; each leaf has a 2m long petiole with spines up to 15 cm long, and numerous leaflets.

The fruit grow in clusters at the base of the palm, and are also known as snake fruit due to the reddish-brown scaly skin. They are about the size and shape of a ripe fig, with a distinct tip. The pulp is edible. The fruit can be peeled by pinching the tip which should cause the skin to slough off so it can be pulled away. The fruit inside consists of three lobes, each containing a large inedible seed. The lobes resemble, and have the consistency of, large peeled garlic cloves. The taste is usually sweet and acidic, but its apple-like texture can vary from very dry and crumbly (salak pondoh from Yogyakarta) to moist and crunchy (salak Bali).

Cultivation

Salak fruit has been cultivated throughout Indonesia and there are at least 30 cultivars, but most of which have an astringent taste and are sweet, indigenous to Indonesia. Two popular cultivars are salak pondoh from Yogyakarta province (found in 1980s) and salak Bali from Bali island.

[edit] Salak pondoh

Salak pondoh is an important fruit in Yogyakarta province. In the five years to 1999, the annual production of salak pondoh in Yogyakarta doubled to 28,666 tons. The popularity of salak pondoh (compared with other cultivars) among local Indonesian consumers is mainly due to the intensity of its aroma, which can be overripe and sweaty even before full maturation.

Salak pondoh has three more superior variations, namely pondoh super, pondoh hitam (black pondoh), and pondoh gading (ivory-English term for gading / yellowish-skinned pondoh).

[edit] Salak Bali

Salak Bali is commonly sold all over the island of Bali, and is a popular fruit with both locals and tourists. It is also a favourite fruit of the monkeys found in the famous "Monkey Forests", with the animals often stealing fruit from visitors, especially children whom they see as an easier target. The fruit is roughly the size of a large fig, and has a crunchy and moist consistency. The fruit has a starchy 'mouth feel', and a flavour reminiscent of dilute pineapple and lemon juice.

[edit] Salak Gula Pasir

The most expensive cultivar of the Bali salak is the 'gula pasir'(literally meaning fine-grained sugar), which is smaller than the normal salak and is the sweetest of all salak. The price in Bali is 15,000rp-30,000rp+(about 1.5 to 3 USD) per kilogram (dependent on time of year when more trees are fruiting), against about 12,000rp for regular salak.

Comments (14)

• boson
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi,

A few years ago I had about 20 seedlings of Salak. They all died because of fungus decease. I just want you to be aware of that they are probably sensitive to fungus as seedlings.

Tomas

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

I have S. zalacca, S. affinis and S. wallichiana growing, so far all are healthy but with winter approaching it will interesting to see how they handle that. Probably one more year of them coming in the house then maybe start to test a few in the greenhouse after that.

Most salaks are dioecious but I think that different varieties can cross pollinate each other. If not, you are looking at $80 for two plants from TT.

good luck with the hunt,
    -Ethan

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

The Bali variety is supposed to be monoecious. Thailand has several varieties available in the market now and I believe the Bali is one of them. However, a relatively new one is in the markets called Sumalee. It is a cross between the Bali and one of the better Thai varieties...at least that is the belief. It is definitely the favorite over there at this time.

The fruit isn't bad, but it isn't great...at least in my opinion and that of a few others that was with us. No matter what variety it was and where we got, there was always a "medicine-like" after taste associated with it. So it was only an okay fruit for me...nothing I would go out of my way for nor eat more than a few of.

If one has plenty of room for these plants, I think it well worth growing simply because it is an impressive plant and it is pretty cool how the fruit hang on the plant. It would definitely serve as a "keep out" barrier!

• murahilin
    13 years ago

mangokush,
    Excalibur has large salak trees for sale that have been growing outdoors for the past few years.

You could also buy a Salak seedling from me that's about the same size as the one in the pic for the same $40.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I have been thinking about trying a few of these for a while. I know they are not hardy, but does anyone know what the lowest temps they can take are?

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I read hardy up until 50. I know it grows in the ground here so it seems borderline tropical sub-tropical.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Rare or not...TT asking $40 for that small plant is just ludicrous. Like their "rare" $150 maprang seedling. They operate on the assumption that everyone out here are idiots. Based on the size of that seedling, you should find a seed source for the varieties you want. They will sprout and be that size in no time.

I'll beat Sheehan's offer by $20!!!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Today only, for the low low price of just $19.99, operators are waiting,

CALL NOW!

-E

We saw some growing in PR but they had fruited earlier in the year so no fruit. Very beautiful plants.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I had some growing years ago, sent back to me from Malaysia, I believe. Tasted a few of them (not the ones I grew) and did not find the experience enjoyable. Here's a quote from the internet that I think gives you some idea:

The salak is a native of Indonesia and named for its scaly brown skin. Salak is also grown in Thailand and Malaysia. Salak grows at the base of a short palm tree. Salak has thin and strong skin but it is easily peeled. Three or four segments are included in its flesh, which is quite dry, crunchy, and tangy due to high tannin content. The flavor of Salak is quite different. Taste of salak is depends on its cultivars, some are semi-sweet, dry and crunchy but some are slightly juicy, soft and acidic. Taste of salak is different and unusual from other common fruits. You can smell the sourish aroma of salak fruit, if you put salak in an enclosed room.

The high tanin content is what I remember. I am not a big fan of tanin....to put it mildly. Interesting horticulturally though.

I think this is a favorite fruit for Sheehan....enough said.

Harry

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tanin is definitely not a friend of my palette either Harry, i think i found out why this one has remained so exotic.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

"I think this is a favorite fruit for Sheehan....enough said." Harry

LOL. I guess it's off the list then.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tanin leaves an aftertaste that ruins the flavor. im not a big fan of Mauritius or Hak Ip lychees either

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Lol. You're absolutely right Harry. While reading the description you posted I was thinking about how good the fruit sounds. I think I am definitely going to try and grow one in the ground now.

Mangokush,
    The offer of a nice healthy slightly chlorotic 8" salak seedling for $40 still stands.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Not sure if you saw this but it seems like a good price.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH