Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

My dragon fruit finally fruited!!!

ch3rri
12 years ago

I've been waiting forever for my dragon fruit to fruit. I was going to prune it back this year since it was a pain to drag it into the basement. But since it fruited...I guess I will let it grow and deal with the pain when draging them into the basement. I'm so happy!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics

Comments (18)

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I'm expecting fruits myself.

Which variety is it?

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Did you hand pollinate it?

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

At long last! From the look of the fruit shape, looks like one of the fuschia or red fleshed varieties. We know soon. Good work.

Harry

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

What is the screen for?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think this is the magenta (pink) type. I also got yellow and red. All three bought from ebay so I don't know their name. I saw on PI list of dragon fruit and they have so many pink and red. I just hope it will be good.

The screen is to prevent birds, squirrel, and deer from attacking it.

As for the cable wire...I had nothing that could hold the vines so I used the cable wires. I also use telephone wires to tied them together. I have two big pot of the dragon fruits so it's really a pain to drag them around. They usually stay there from spring to fall and then into the basement for the whole winter.

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

Ah, they really are the MacGuyver of the produce world since there is no established "proper" way to raise them. Right now I am allowing the vines of my plants to grow into a fan shape to help absorb summer heat that gets reflected by a large white wall.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Congrats, at long last, hope it tastes great.

-Ethan

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,

Feel so happy for you. Especially after spending so much time and taking so much space. That's the reason I gave up growing dragon fruit. I have limited space. Most of my plants this year gets too big.

When you move them into basement, are they getting any light at all?

BTW, where did you get your Chinese Jujube plant? There is no way I could locate a jujube tree at Canada.

Thanks

YT

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Yellowthumb,
    Roger Meyers ships jujube trees worldwide. I don't know about your country's import regulations, however. Fortunately, I live about 20 miles from him & I bought Honey Jar & Sugarcane jujube trees from him a couple of years ago.

Here's his info-
    Roger & Shirley Meyer
    16531 Mt Shelly Cir
    Fountain Valley, CA 92708
    (714)839-0796
    xotcfruit@yahoo.com

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Thanks Rodney
    Really appreciate the information. Did you get any fruits? I heard I need two trees or two varieties to fruit well.

YT

• rodneys
    12 years ago

I had a few fruits on the Honey Jar after it came out of dormancy the first year. This year, I had more & larger fruits. The Sugarcane flowers dry up on me for some reason. Maybe it needs more foliage for it to set fruit? They're dormant now, and I plan to separate the suckers soon. I need to buy some Parafilm (or maybe just plastic wrap) and practice grafting

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

YT, I had my Li fruit by itself the first year and set fruit by itself. Since then Honey jar and GA866 have set some nice crops too. The sugarcane graft is still small but might have a fruit or two, I'll have to double check. I also was given chico but it was a recent graft and dropped it's fruits.

Definitely call Roger, he is the man w/jujube and many other plants.

-Ethan

• Phamaily
    12 years ago

Cherri,

Like you, I'm also vietnamese....you should of just post something about Dragon fruit, I would of sending you some cuttings..

• stevek871
    9 years ago

Nice picture, congratulations. I have two dragon fruit plants in front yard....probably had about 15 bulbs form this past summer but only one made it to a flower and blossomed. The other bulbs would shrivel up at various stages, turn yellow and die. I'm not sure if due to the Calfornia drought where we can only water 3x a week and plant is exposed to sun for most of day.

• ricardo lara
    7 years ago

• ricardo lara
    7 years ago

4x4 with a squared top works for me..

• eloise_ca
    7 years ago

Congrats Ch3rri, I am so jealous! I've gotten several blooms on mine, but no fruit has developed. I tried hand pollinating, but none took perhaps because they say to pollinate at night (when I'm asleep, lol) and I did it during the day.