Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My dragon fruit finally fruited!!!

Posted by ch3rri z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 9:57

I've been waiting forever for my dragon fruit to fruit. I was going to prune it back this year since it was a pain to drag it into the basement. But since it fruited...I guess I will let it grow and deal with the pain when draging them into the basement. I'm so happy!!!

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My dragon fruit finally fruited!!!

Congratulations! I'm expecting fruits myself.

Which variety is it?

o

Did you hand pollinate it?

o

At long last! From the look of the fruit shape, looks like one of the fuschia or red fleshed varieties. We know soon. Good work.

Harry

o

Does you Pitaya get cable TV or satellite ? Is it HD ? Sorry, just had to do it :)

o

What is the screen for?

o

Thanks everyone. I think this is the magenta (pink) type. I also got yellow and red. All three bought from ebay so I don't know their name. I saw on PI list of dragon fruit and they have so many pink and red. I just hope it will be good.

The screen is to prevent birds, squirrel, and deer from attacking it.

As for the cable wire...I had nothing that could hold the vines so I used the cable wires. I also use telephone wires to tied them together. I have two big pot of the dragon fruits so it's really a pain to drag them around. They usually stay there from spring to fall and then into the basement for the whole winter.

o

Ah, they really are the MacGuyver of the produce world since there is no established "proper" way to raise them. Right now I am allowing the vines of my plants to grow into a fan shape to help absorb summer heat that gets reflected by a large white wall.

o

Congrats, at long last, hope it tastes great.

-Ethan

o

Hi Ch3rri,

Feel so happy for you. Especially after spending so much time and taking so much space. That's the reason I gave up growing dragon fruit. I have limited space. Most of my plants this year gets too big.

When you move them into basement, are they getting any light at all?

BTW, where did you get your Chinese Jujube plant? There is no way I could locate a jujube tree at Canada.

Thanks

YT

o

Yellowthumb,
Roger Meyers ships jujube trees worldwide. I don't know about your country's import regulations, however. Fortunately, I live about 20 miles from him & I bought Honey Jar & Sugarcane jujube trees from him a couple of years ago.

Here's his info-
Roger & Shirley Meyer
16531 Mt Shelly Cir
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714)839-0796
xotcfruit@yahoo.com

o

Thanks Rodney
Really appreciate the information. Did you get any fruits? I heard I need two trees or two varieties to fruit well.

YT

o

I had a few fruits on the Honey Jar after it came out of dormancy the first year. This year, I had more & larger fruits. The Sugarcane flowers dry up on me for some reason. Maybe it needs more foliage for it to set fruit? They're dormant now, and I plan to separate the suckers soon. I need to buy some Parafilm (or maybe just plastic wrap) and practice grafting

o

YT, I had my Li fruit by itself the first year and set fruit by itself. Since then Honey jar and GA866 have set some nice crops too. The sugarcane graft is still small but might have a fruit or two, I'll have to double check. I also was given chico but it was a recent graft and dropped it's fruits.

Definitely call Roger, he is the man w/jujube and many other plants.

-Ethan

o

Cherri,

Like you, I'm also vietnamese....you should of just post something about Dragon fruit, I would of sending you some cuttings..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here