Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taproot style Growing pouches

Posted by MsMorningSong 10A (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 9:59

I have been googling for some time, but can't seem to find a source for a long, slender type growing bag, made of either burlap or plastic. I would like to grow out some cherimoya in this fashion, but am not having much luck locating a mail order source. The ones I'm running across are too shallow.
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taproot style Growing pouches

Well, after changing search words, I came across this:
http://www.plantra.com/TreeTubes/JumpStartTreeTubesFullSun.aspx

It does not have a bottom, and is not really created exactly for my purpose, but I'm wondering what you guys think?
Would this work filled with soil and have enough rootspace
(horizontal) for cherimoya?

Any other suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree tubes

o

I use the deep citra pots. I get 12 to stand up inside the county recycling bins. They are reusable also.

o

Do you have a link? I keyworded citra pots and can't find. TY

o

What about cardboard tubes? Like the kind you mail posters in. They come in all sorts of sizes and lengths, plus you might even be able to find a free source of them (say a department store that gift wraps things, or a fabric store, or school). The ones you mail stuff in have lids to close off one end or you could wrap w/cloth and a rubber band.

ryan

o

do you need it for protection? or to plant it in?
the smart tubes are for protection from pests/animals so that the growing trunk/tip is not damaged.
why can't you use tall tree pots? they are tall and narrow. 4"x14".
http://www.groworganic.com/tree-growing-containers-treepots-tall.html

o

Thanks to both of you. Great idea Ryan, for plants I'm keeping. Petrushka, great link, I will into those for more permanent potting.

o

I created my own for some young palms and other things that set a deep tap root from seed. I found some compatible sized pots (recycled ones). A top one slightly larger than a bottom one. Cut the base out of the top one and discard, Put the bottom-less pot inside the smaller one so that it fits snugly up high and glued it . (Even a hot gun glue will do). Works for 3 pots too. If a bit top-heavy to start with put some stones in the bottom to weight it.

o

Great idea Alison! Those same cherimoya are going to need this very soon, too small to place in landscape. DH would mow them down in no time, so need height first beforehand. I think I'll try gluing two together like you have done. I've already cut main leader to get branching, which it is now doing. Very excited about adding this tree to the earth here.
I have so many various insects, I'm even excited that it might be pollinated naturally, as I've seen this in Miami as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here