Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guajiro_gw

Guanabana\Soursop Finally Fruiting

guajiro
12 years ago

My neighbor's guanabana tree's been in the ground for 4 years and it finally fruited. This year he used papaya scraps to attract the natural pollinators :)

Comments (14)

• guajiro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The owner of La Clinica de las Plantas told me last Sunday that one of her customers got her guanabana to fruit after a five year drought by hanging scraps or small pieces of pineapple near the flowers of her tree. According to her she got about ten fruit to set so far.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice! I have a one-year old guanabana that is six feet tall with branches. It's good to know a guanabana that survived florida cold snaps. :-)

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

guajiro,

it seems that any strategy to attract insects is good to get annonas to fruit. in my orchad i let the weeds grow, which host a lot of flys. that helps a lot!

• newgen
    12 years ago

What's the hardiness of soursop? I have one that's only maybe 10" tall, growing well. I love just lightly rubbing the leaves between my fingers and smell the fragrance. I'm hoping to put it inground eventually.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Soursop/Guanabana completely defoliates with any temperature below 40. Some will even drop their leaves at 45.They have major limb and branch damage as you approach freezing. The good news is that although they freeze back to the ground with really cold weather, they sprout multiple trunks of new tree growth once it warms up. It does set fruiting back considerably, however.

Harry

• newgen
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry,
    Looks like eventually I'll build an enclosed canopy with plastic sheets surrounding it with Christmas lightings for the winter months.

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

I have my soursop for almost 5 yrs in pot but it's nothing near fruiting. My tree defoliates just after a couple days of cold temperature. I think the lowest temperature was 47F. Now when I shake the tree, a lot of leaves fell to the ground.:( I moved it in the house so hopefully no more leaves dropping.

• guajiro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are few more shots of my neighbor's guanabana. I counted thirty fruit on the tree as of yesterday.

• newgen
    12 years ago

guajiro: that's so nice! Does Miami get some real cold days in the winter months?

• guajiro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks newgen. Besides the past two winters, Miami only gets below 40 about a handful of times a year.

• albertlcf
    11 years ago

I have 10 such trees and are flowering but no successful fruits. It is so disheartening to see all the buds dropping off.
    Appreciate if someone could share how to make them fruiting!

• bananafan
    10 years ago

I have a 4-5 year-old Soursop tree in the pot and all it does is grow leaves and branches in the warmer months and then drop all its leaves and go into dormancy in the Winter. It does set the plant a lot back so it doesn't reach its flowering stage.

I've been debating whether to plant it into the ground close to the house and see what happens. I know my planting zone here can get cold snaps. Has any one of you in my planting zone succeeded in growing it to fruit production stage.

I've started another thread on this fruit tree and someone who is located north of me has been able to grow it in the ground to produce fruit for him. Well, let's see how many of us can beat the planting zone for this nice fruit tree ... lol

• wylim32
    10 years ago

My seeded plants of 3 years have yet to bear fruits. After
    flowering the flowers petals just dropped off and wilted.
    Any advice to make the plants bear fruits?