Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do You NOT Kill Tropical Trees?

Posted by gardenathome 9B/10 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 10:50

Hi, Guys! Thanks sooo much again for everyone's help with letting us know how we can protect our trees from the strong winds here. We managed to get something up, but it needs some improvising for the real Santa Ana winds. :-)

In the meantime, we were doing more reading up on the forum and was surprised to know that many members have said they had killed mango trees, lychees, avocados, etc. We're curious to know how... Aside from over-watering, over-fertilizing, what are the other common issues that you could make us aware of? :-)

Many thanks!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do You NOT Kill Tropical Trees?

I would say transplant shock is one of the leading causes for killing my plants. I lost a avocado about a month or so ago because of this. Transplant shock can lead to a variety of problems like over watering (due to the plant not taking up water). Also fertilizer burn can be a killer on the more tender plants that don't like as much fertilizer.

o

I inadvertently killed a banana, a pineapple 8 manderine orange trees and 5 pawpaw trees with too strong a solution of liquid fertilizer. The loss of the orange trees set my program back about 3 years.
Dan

o

I learned the importance of having a good soil mix for my potted trees but I would say that it would be an issue for even growing in the ground. I have lost quite a few trees to this until I made my own mix this year.
Andrew

o

Grow them in a real tropical area .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here