Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Assorted Pictures

Posted by eldys 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 11:08

I haven't posted pictures for a while, so here are some of the more interesting things happening in my yard right now:

A grafted mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana):
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

'Flawless' caimito (Chrysophylum cainito) cutting:

'Chanee' durian (Durio zibethinus):

Grafted breadfruit:

Marang (Artocarpus odoratissimus):

Pedalai (Artocarpus sericicarpus) almost outgrowing its enclosure:

A miracle fruit with its first berry!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Assorted Pictures

wow Eldys,
what beautiful plants, so lush. How much extra care do you need to provide in 10b (humidity, cold protection, etc) any? What color is you caimito? Cograts on the MF berry, I've some seedlings with just 4-leaves, it is going to be a wait before I get fruit.

thanks for posting,
-Ethan

o

Very nice. What can you tell us about the durian? Will you need to do anything extra for winter protection?

o

Very nice. What can you tell us about the durian? Will you need to do anything extra for winter protection?

o

Ethan - I live in the very south of Miami where there are very few days in any given year where the temperature drops below 45 F. This allows me to grow some extremely tender plants with minimal cold protection. For those rare days where I'm concerned about the cold, I take my potted plants inside and cover/heat my in-ground plants outdoors (I erect simple pipe enclosures, drape a heavy cloth over them and add a lightbulb or two - it's incredible how effective that is). I've never had any cold damage on any of my plants though, even seedling rambutans left outside unprotected during our coldest winter days. As for humidity, anyone who has ever been to Miami knows that we are never lacking in high humidity.

The 'Flawless' caimito is a purple variety which is very tasty - better than the classic 'Haitian', in my opinion. It's a very attractive plant, and will probably be going into the ground next Spring.

Jay - I'm going to be taking the usual precautions with the 'Chanee', so it will be coming inside the house this winter whenever the temperature drops. I waited too long to get it (about a year) to risk it outside at this size. By the way, my seedling durians are all about 4 feet tall now and looking lovely. My rambutans are all doing well, but they aren't the most handsome trees in the world...

o

Great selection you got there, eldys. Hope they do great in your little piece of paradise.

My experience is that the most tender is breadfruit (which resprout from the main trunk after the winter in here with 7C being the low absolute), then pedalai (old leaves go almost unharmed through winter but those which appear during the end of winter get burned out really fast) and at then marang (artocarpus that is) which leaves doesnt show cold damage at all.

When I first saw those large velvety lobed marang leaves I was stunned but after 9 months of life my seedlings stopped growing at all then the foliage got old and sheded and sprouted nano velvety leaves which arent going anywhere!! Still dont know what happened. Would like to know how your marang does in your place, eldys. Durian and mangosteen are another impossibles for my place (guess too hot).

Cheerio.

o

Hi, I have a piece of farm land and would like to grow the plants shown. Where can I get the seedlings?

o

any updates for us on your grafted mangosteen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here