Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldys_gw

Assorted Pictures

eldys
16 years ago

I haven't posted pictures for a while, so here are some of the more interesting things happening in my yard right now:

A grafted mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana):

'Flawless' caimito (Chrysophylum cainito) cutting:

'Chanee' durian (Durio zibethinus):

Grafted breadfruit:

Marang (Artocarpus odoratissimus):

Pedalai (Artocarpus sericicarpus) almost outgrowing its enclosure:

A miracle fruit with its first berry!

Comments (7)

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

wow Eldys,
    what beautiful plants, so lush. How much extra care do you need to provide in 10b (humidity, cold protection, etc) any? What color is you caimito? Cograts on the MF berry, I've some seedlings with just 4-leaves, it is going to be a wait before I get fruit.

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Very nice. What can you tell us about the durian? Will you need to do anything extra for winter protection?

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Very nice. What can you tell us about the durian? Will you need to do anything extra for winter protection?

• eldys
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ethan - I live in the very south of Miami where there are very few days in any given year where the temperature drops below 45 F. This allows me to grow some extremely tender plants with minimal cold protection. For those rare days where I'm concerned about the cold, I take my potted plants inside and cover/heat my in-ground plants outdoors (I erect simple pipe enclosures, drape a heavy cloth over them and add a lightbulb or two - it's incredible how effective that is). I've never had any cold damage on any of my plants though, even seedling rambutans left outside unprotected during our coldest winter days. As for humidity, anyone who has ever been to Miami knows that we are never lacking in high humidity.

The 'Flawless' caimito is a purple variety which is very tasty - better than the classic 'Haitian', in my opinion. It's a very attractive plant, and will probably be going into the ground next Spring.

Jay - I'm going to be taking the usual precautions with the 'Chanee', so it will be coming inside the house this winter whenever the temperature drops. I waited too long to get it (about a year) to risk it outside at this size. By the way, my seedling durians are all about 4 feet tall now and looking lovely. My rambutans are all doing well, but they aren't the most handsome trees in the world...

• patusho25
    16 years ago

Great selection you got there, eldys. Hope they do great in your little piece of paradise.

My experience is that the most tender is breadfruit (which resprout from the main trunk after the winter in here with 7ºC being the low absolute), then pedalai (old leaves go almost unharmed through winter but those which appear during the end of winter get burned out really fast) and at then marang (artocarpus that is) which leaves doesn´t show cold damage at all.

When I first saw those large velvety lobed marang leaves I was stunned but after 9 months of life my seedlings stopped growing at all then the foliage got old and sheded and sprouted nano velvety leaves which aren´t going anywhere!! Still don´t know what happened. Would like to know how your marang does in your place, eldys. Durian and mangosteen are another impossibles for my place (guess too hot).

Cheerio.

• ismail_durian
    14 years ago

Hi, I have a piece of farm land and would like to grow the plants shown. Where can I get the seedlings?

• mangostana
    13 years ago

any updates for us on your grafted mangosteen?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists