Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Germinating Sour Sop and Sugar Apple Seeds

Andrew Scott
14 years ago

I recieved 4 Sour Sop and 24 Sugar Apple Seeds from a person I met on GW. After sending an email to thank her, I planted seeds in small individual pots, and put them in clear plastic container that I had strawberries in. Now the hard part, waiting. I will keep everyone posted about there progress. Wish me luck! I am so excited. I owe this to Ch3rri, after seeing her fruiting trees, I knew I had to have one, or 20!

Comments (11)

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Congrats...lol. Well, since the weather is getting into the fall, you might want to just plant them in clear plastic cup. I placed them in the windowsill during the winter..that way they get sunshine too. I was smart to buy one of those mini greenhouse and it works a lot better and plants grew faster too.

Well, good luck. The weather is quite cold these few days. I hate the rain!!!!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ch3rri,
    I used those compressed peat pots, the one you soak in water and then plant seed, i heard they were a good option because they will break down and you don't have to worry about transplant shock, I think the clear plastic container will help germination. Also, I followed some advice from Top. They said to try paper towel method, which I do alot with tropical fruit seeds. The only thing is you have to check daily to make sure roots are/ are not germinating or roots can rot. We will see which is faster! I hope to be eating sour sop and sugar apple in next two years. I also recieved 46 more seeds today. The women who sent them said the flesh is pink when you cut it, but skin is green, YUM! Cannot wait!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have thanked both people for sending these too me, but am still in search of Kapung mauve seeds, if anybody has some please let me know!

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

I always wonder if we plant the kapung mauve seed will the fruit come out that variety. Hmmm...I want to eat some too. I'm going to China on October 7. Taking a tour there. Maybe they will have some over there...hehehe

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Ch3rri! That will be an incredible experience. I always wanted to go there, but the flight time, I don't think I could handle that! Take some good pics. Top sells Kapong Mauve seeds, so I would hope that they would grow tru to type, but I am learning fast that some places will sell plants/seeds just for the profit. I bought a Hoya Lauterbachii from Logee's Greenhouse in Danielson Conn. They said it would be an easy grower and bloom after vine matures. Well I went to GW hoya forum and contacted Carol Noel, who happens to be an authority and she told basicalyy told me that I would have like a 10% chance at getting flowers. She lives in Hawaii, and she said she has optimum conditions for this and she has only had flowers twice, ever. So I am more leary about things, I research now before making a purchase. So who is going to care for your jungle while you are gone? That is always challenging for me, last time I lost a plumeria, and a kumquat. I think I lost a few more, but cannot remember.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Kampong Mauve does not grow true to type. A nursery here in South Florida once planted a bunch of KM seeds and then cut them a few inches high in order to make it look as though they were grafted. The eventual plants were sold as grafted KM sugar apples but everyone who bought the plant ended up with regular sugar apples. I would buy the grafted plant from someone reputable not Top. They seem to be hit or miss.

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

I will be in China for 11 days. We are taking tour for our honeymoon. I will tell my brother to take care of them. All he needs to do is water every other days for hot weather or every 3 days. Will tell him to check the soil. This is our first time going to China so it is exciting. I just took some pictures of my tropicals. I will update later.

The kampong mauve tastes the same as the green one...only pink. I like green better as it's a little chewier. I do not like soft and soggy sugar apple. Remember to eat them when they first ripe. Never let it sit too long where the skin turn black...a sign of too ripe. I did planted some mauve seeds in September...so we will see if it come out to be mauve or not in 2+ yrs....lol.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well from what people are saying here, I guess I will wait till I go back to Florida and KP Mauve SA. I like going there and buying the tree in person so I know exactly what I am getting. I think I will like this more, if the KM sugar apple is not as chewy, and softer. Ch3rri, I am excited as always to see your tropcals! Let me know how long it takes to get sprouts from your seeds. You have a lot of sugar apples that you have grown from seed. What are you going to do with all of them? How many trees do you have total? I bet it is hard to move around in that morning room, when you have all your stuff in for the winter?

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Hahahaha... Well, not too hard to move from deck to morning room. The room was big enough for all my trees last year. But this year I will have to leave some in the basement. Maybe the caimito can go down the basement. I'll have to see which one is more cold hardy. I might tie some christmas light to the tree to keep it warm.

I think I have a total of 8 sugar apple trees. Six of the sugar apple are seedling 1 ft tall. I have one seed grown atemoya which is getting pretty big. I also have 2 different atemoya grafted. So yeah...you can see how much I love these fruits...LOL.

I usually don't need to do anything in the morning room in the winter. And there are only two of us in the house so no one bother the trees. But do have to check for bugs and diseases.

Currently there are over 24 trees on my deck...lol. Not counting all the papaya, guava, and dragon fruit in the backyard...lol.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry Ch3rri I wasn't trying to poke fun at you. I am taking my large plant table and put in my bedroom. My bedroom is small, but it is the warmest and I know my keylime and Caimito cannot handle temps below the 50-60 degree mark, and winter of 2007 was frigid here. I have 6 0r 7 tropical fruit trees, and my gardenia tree is huge! It is about 6 ft tall and 3-4 foot wide. All of that is going in my room, plus hopefully the sugar apples that will be germinating, the quenepa that are germinating, the soursop, and the tamarind seeds. It is a lot but if anyone understands it is you! I have over 40 sugar apples from two diffrent sources planted, I am the most excited about those. I think I am going to wait for KM Sugar apple till next year. I have to wait and see how much space I have, plus that special someone in my life wants me to grow a guava. I am not crazy about guava, but I will give it a try. Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I can't wait for your pics!
    Andrew

• superpinoyy_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Stumbled into your conversation because I love growing trees too. Trying to find out how to germinate sugar apple seeds or atis as we call it. But in your conversation, cherri mentioned that she that she has a caimito tree. We call it Star Apple. It just brought back memories because back in the Philippines where I grew up, we have 2 large caimito trees. One bearing purple fruits and the other green. I missed that so much. When it's in season, we would have hundreds of fruits. I was wondering if your caimito tree has bear any fruits yet. I really would like to grow one. Where did you purchase it? Hoping for your response. Thank you.