Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmorningsong

White sapote...how big before flowering?

msmorningsong
10 years ago

Can anyone help me with approximate size that a white sapote tree needs to be before flowering? Mine is about 6 feet tall, and was pruned last fall from about same height.
I wanted it to thicken up. The trunk is about 3 1/2 inch diameter. Thanks to any who can help. Oh, and not a graft, grown from seed, plant is about 4 years old.

Comments (5)

• sapote
    10 years ago

does it have flowers yet? Mine was a graft -- i'm not 100% sure know but since I bought from the original nursery I would think it's grafted -- and it took 2 to 3 more years after first flowering to bear fruits. Grafted to not, from 24" plant it took about 6 or 7 years to have the first fruits ( but started flower after 3 or 4 years planted).

Sapote

• msmorningsong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for responding Sapote,
    I have spent most part of day reading this forum, and know that you would 'get' this tree. You taught me some things other forums did not mention, persay the flowering first but no fruit...
    no, sadly no fruit yet.
    I allow the Giant swallowtails to 'attack' this tree from spring through late fall in my area (S. Fl.) I know the tree can withstand, but since I have no others these butterflies prefer they are vigorous on sapote and right now I have 8 big caterpillars munching...they love the top growth, as it is newer, more tender.
    I cannot bring myself to suffer the death of a caterpillar that turns from ugly duckling to swan, so allow the tree to withstand..is this inhibiting growth?
    I would love to have more seeds/stock of White sapote to take the burden off of this young tree, I want fruit as well, for my own purpose, of course.
    Sorry response so long, many don't like to read such detail. I have observed the tree from birth, and looked it up many times to try and help. Some say don't water, some say do. I water and fertilize with regularity, it does respond well IMHO.
    But this year I can get no height...
    and neighbors are not in any way intelligent as to flying (or otherswise) wildlife, and every single living creature that belongs here naturally ends up in my part of the woods seeks out my intentionally planted acre...
    Do I have to wait longer for fruit because of my love of other creatures? It's OK, I'd just like to know, I'm getting up in time and would love to know I grew from seed to fruit, lol.
    *If anyone could share seed to verified White sapote, I can trade others. Although all not fruit, definitely of a sub to tropical flare...ornamentals to some fruits...
    Thanks,
    Morning

• sapote
    10 years ago

My tree's trunk is about 12" dia and 20 ft tall. It had plenty of fruits last year -- thousands of them most with golden yellow skin, delicious. This year I trimmed off some top branches to control this vigorous tree -- I had seen one in Griffith Park with 36" trunk and 60 ft tall -- and the tree responded with sending out many new shoots -- just to many leafy and the fruits this year do not resemble any thing close to the fruits of last year. I think sapote produces best tasting fruits when there are less new green shoot and it concentrate all sugar into the fruits -- golden yellow fruits instead of pale green/yellow fruits.

I have plenty of fresh seeds if you want.

sapote

• msmorningsong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sapote-Thank you soo much! Yes, I would love some seeds.
    I don't know what to offer you in return. I do have some small sized seedling cherimoya, if you'd like one of them in return. I'm dying to get more sapote started! :)
    If you are interested in a trade, please email me. Thanks again :)

• msmorningsong
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it was you who emailed? Gardebweb isn't telling me. If you could directly email me at msmorningsong@gmail.com, I can give you my address.
    Thanks again, I'm very grateful for this opportunity. :)

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!