Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthantropical

Papaya Pollination

anthantropical
10 years ago

Can anyone help me to identify if my papaya flower is hermaphrodite? It is in my greenhouse. I hope it is not a female papaya because I don't have a male plant.

Thank you very much for your help.

Tuan

Comments (8)

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

You don't need a male plant nearby for pollination, it will carry a long way if there are some males in the general area.

From your photo, your plant isn't male but I think it's female rather than hermaphrodite.

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tropicbreezent. I am the only one having Papaya in the area. It is in my greenhouse. If it is a female, I might have to cut it down to save space because I don't have any male papaya.

Nice day,

Tuan

• sapote
    10 years ago

wait a minute; I always have papaya fruits on my single papaya tree, and there is no other papaya in the neighborhood.

Sapote

• anthantropical
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it is true if you have a hermaphrodite papaya (male and female in one flower).

Thanks Sapote

Tuan

• sapote
    10 years ago

As I had mentioned earlier, I never have either single male or female tree -- always have perfect hermaphrodite flower in southern California. I think other places in the world with much hotter weather the plant may switch sex from time to time (but not its clothe).

sapote

• isellnuts
    9 years ago

I am a newbie in this great forum of papaya trees. I didn't really care about this tree when I grew up in our country side village (province in the Philippines), we do have these fruit bearing trees around our backyard and all I know is this male papaya tree which we always cut down.

We move to our new house in this subdivision area which we have a portion at the side and back where I do my gardening past time.

When we move last December I noticed two papaya seedlings which I watered them everyday, now one grew to more than 5ft tall the other more than 4ft tall and it start to show flower buds. The 5ft tall tree had been flowering almost three weeks already and all the flowers turned yellow then fall off. My neighbor lady told me that it will never bear fruit because she is the only papaya tree around the neighborhood which I took it as a joke.

I started searching in the internet about papaya trees reading material and that's how I came to this forum.

Two weeks ago we bought a ripe papaya and I sowed the seedlings and two days ago I replanted 20 seedlings at 2meters distance to each other. let me see how they will grow.

This morning I cut down the top portion of my flowering papaya tree as I have read in this forum, cutting down the top portion will make it into male tree. Let's see what gonna happen to this tree.

I'll take a photo later with my wife ipad and will post it.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

I have grown about 50 papaya to maturity in my yard.
    ive only seen 1 male plant.
    it was the ONLY one i raised that did not fruit.
    and there are no others in the neighborhood.

even if you think its a female, and not a HERM, let it go, it will produce fruit.

the industry breeds them so that most seeds will be HERMS

it kind of depends on the cultivar, where you got the seeds etc...
    but most of mine was from a store bought fruit.

very often stress will change the sex of a tree.

supposedly, you can drive a nail in the trunk and that changes it.

i had a male once, and after a hard rain, it flooded the area, almost killing it.
    it turned into a Herm right after.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/papaya_ars.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropical/msg0912240730264.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://smilepolitely.com/culture/science_politely_men_they_just_wont_go_away/

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!