Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips on planting avocado trees

Posted by JeffDM San Diego - 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 13:48

I've given up my plans to try and grow my avocado trees in containers and have decided to plant them in the ground.
I have a Holiday, Hass and Fuerte - all about 7'tall and I still plan to prune them when they reach about 8'.
My backyard can get windy so I've selected spots close to the house and side fences.
I'm preparing raised beds with amended soil and mounds.
I've got some clay soil, but one spot tested OK (15 min.) for water draining out of a 2' deep hole and the other spot is where I removed an in ground spa and back filled with good soil.
I plan to plant the Holiday by itself and the Hass/Fuerte in the same raised bed.
What soil amendments are recommended - what might I be forgetting to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips on planting avocado trees

• Posted by JeffDM San Diego - 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 13:06

I guess there were no tips or advice to be had here.
I guess this is NOT the place I thought it was.

o

Jeff

This forum used to be more active about a year ago.

Since then a lot of members have migrated to tropicalfruitforum.com. That site is very active and im sure youd get an answer to your question there.

Brad

o

Fwiw some sources state that you dont want to amend the soil at all. Be aware that avocado trees are more sensitive to overwatering than other fruit trees. They do not like areas of the yard where the water table is high or there isbstanding water after it rains. Plant tree a couple inches above surrounding ground

Brad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here