Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nullzero_gw

Container Garden picture update

nullzero
13 years ago

Here is some pictures of my edible container garden;

Overview picture, some of the plants in the picture include; Pomegranate trees, Banana, Kiwi, Persimmon, Guava, etc.

{{gwi:1329267}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Surinam Cherry in the center. Sunshine Blueberry middle right. Small Jaboticaba bottom right.

{{gwi:1329269}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Elixir Cherimoya, with one fruit maturing on it.

{{gwi:1329271}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Holiday Avocado

{{gwi:1329273}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Selma Cherimoya, around 6ft tall

{{gwi:1329275}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Kiwano (Horned Melon)

{{gwi:1329277}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Dwarf Mexican Key Lime blooming.

{{gwi:1329279}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Yellow Strawberry Guava loaded with cherry tomato size guavas.

{{gwi:1329281}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Yacon, this is a root vegetable crop from Peru region.

{{gwi:1329284}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

GA-866 Jujube, has a nice amount of fruit on it. Very productive in a container for its size.

{{gwi:1329286}}From September 6th Garden Pictures

Some of the pictures may be a little on the bright side. It was very bright outside when I took the pictures. Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the pictures.

Comments (11)

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Correction on the Surinam Cherry picture. Bottom right is a tophat dwarf blueberry.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Horned Mellon is a nifty conversation piece, i just wish they would cultivate one that wasnt so insipid

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Nullzero! OMG, you have such a large container collection. :-) We had some potted tomatoes and other veggies and thought it was too many already. LOL. Beautiful!!! How long have you been growing those in containers? We're about to start. Hehe.

The cherimoya trees are so COOL in containers. Where did you purchase those 2 trees(Elixir & Selma)? They're beautiful!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nice collection. Everything looks healthy and happy. How long have you been growing your container collection? Also, how is that GA-866 Jujube, I have never heard of it? Thanks for posting.

Harry

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango kush,

Last year I grew Kiwano, I found the taste pretty good. The quality can vary a great deal on ripeness and how long they have been stored. The storage life of the Kiwano is upto 6 months. Depending on when they are picked and when it is consumed after harvest makes a big difference.

The taste of the Kiwano, I would say is like a lime mixed with a cucumber with some other fruit tastes in it, its tangy with a slight sweetness. I would recommend using it in a fruit salad mixed with sweeter fruits like Cherimoya and White Sapote.

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardenathome,

I obtained my Elixir and Selma Cherimoya from Roger Meyer. I also obtained the Jujubes from him as well, its really nice having such a great resource close to home.

Harry,

My container collection averages about 2 years old. Some of my plants are 3-4 years old but that is in the minority. I added most of my plants last year and this year. I wanted to make sure I had experience with container growing, before I added the harder to grow tropicals. Most of my plants are doing very well, however I am having issues with leaf miners on the citrus. I also have 2-3 troubled plants, I am hoping these troubled plants will recover by the end of this year.

On the Jujubes, I am growing 3 varieties. All my varieties were obtained from Roger Meyer. The varieties I am growing include (this is the info Roger Meyer sent me);

GA866: One of the selections from the breeding program at Chico. Outstandingly sweet fruit with sugar levels
    approaching 45%! Large, elongated fruit. Excellent!

GI 7-62: From the Chico Research Program. Fruit is round but flattened to an unusual shape. Excellent, sweet taste. A
    real surprise! It was named "Chico" by Paul Thompson of the California Rare Fruit Growers.

SHANXI LI: Extremely large fruit with great flavor.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great pics and collection of containerized tropical fruits. I am especially fond of your cherimoya trees. Are those Hummel's Sunset I see on the left of your Elixir Cherimoya?
    Bo

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its a jade plant, however I do not know the variety.

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is some more pictures taken a few days back;

Suebelle White Sapote (Picture of new growth)
    {{gwi:1329288}}From September 9th Garden Pics

Kohala Longan (This is my new arrival)
    {{gwi:1329290}}From September 9th Garden Pics

Another picture of a Yellow Strawberry Guava
    {{gwi:1329292}}From September 9th Garden Pics

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nice collection Nullzero, your plants look great. I like the usage of the 16oz plastic cups too, a great resource.

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• athughes8
    12 years ago

I recently bought a dwarf mexican key lime and was just wondering how you care for yours. Mine is doing good so far, it's been in my back yard for about a month and i have gotten a couple small limes off of it. Any general information would be greatly appreciated as i really have no clue what i'm doing. Thank you! Oh if this makes a difference i live in hawaii.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living