Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Veinte Cohol Fruit Splitting

sun_worshiper
12 years ago

I have 3 varieties of banana that have set fruit this year, Veinte Cohol, Ice Cream & Dwarf Brazilian. The Veinte Cohol fruit are starting to split open. Their skins are bursting even though most are still green. Anybody know if that is normal? Neither or the other varieties are splitting. A couple of the Veinte Cohol fruits near the middle of the bunch are starting to be pale yellow. I separated off a couple and let them sit on my counter for a day. They are mostly yellow and reasonably soft. I tasted one, and it is soft, but very tart - not at all sweet. But it does not have any of that resinous flavor that I associate with unripe bananas (or banana skins). So what is the deal? Is this a characteristic of this variety? It was my understanding that they should be sweet. Or are they not ripe yet despite the splitting open? I'm trying to decide if I should harvest the bunch before more split open and spoil, or if they aren't ripe enough yet and I should wait. I'm still pretty new to bananas. Any advice?

Comments (2)