Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veinte Cohol Fruit Splitting

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 14:38

I have 3 varieties of banana that have set fruit this year, Veinte Cohol, Ice Cream & Dwarf Brazilian. The Veinte Cohol fruit are starting to split open. Their skins are bursting even though most are still green. Anybody know if that is normal? Neither or the other varieties are splitting. A couple of the Veinte Cohol fruits near the middle of the bunch are starting to be pale yellow. I separated off a couple and let them sit on my counter for a day. They are mostly yellow and reasonably soft. I tasted one, and it is soft, but very tart - not at all sweet. But it does not have any of that resinous flavor that I associate with unripe bananas (or banana skins). So what is the deal? Is this a characteristic of this variety? It was my understanding that they should be sweet. Or are they not ripe yet despite the splitting open? I'm trying to decide if I should harvest the bunch before more split open and spoil, or if they aren't ripe enough yet and I should wait. I'm still pretty new to bananas. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veinte Cohol Fruit Splitting

I have no experience with this culitvar but have seen fruit splitting in others. I think that Going Bananas has experience with this particular cultivar. If I were you, I'd give a call to Don at Going Bananas and see what he thinks. That would be your best source for an answer.

Harry

o
RE: Veinte Cohol Fruit Splitting

Thanks Harry. I did contact Don (who I bought my plant from). He recommended harvesting. After hanging for a few days in my garage, they are starting to get a bit sweeter. But this variety is not a very sweet one according to Don. But its advantage is that it fruits really rapidly. This plant froze to the ground last winter, sent up a new shoot in the spring, and had set fruit by 8/15. And it is ripe already. Only 1.5 months of hang time is pretty amazing! Here are a few pics:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here