Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 9/9/10

hmhausman
13 years ago

Not all that much going on`in the yard, but figured I would do a brief update.

My grafted Kai Maprang has begun to grow. It is pushing new growth at 14 places on the rather small tree.

A seedling Pulasan from Puerto Rico.

A seedling rambutan from Puerto Rico

Some seedling maprang. The smaller one in front, from Murahilin and the larger one behind, from JSVand5.

New mangosteen sprout popping up from the soil.....from Puerto Rico

New Pulasan sprout from Puerto Rico

New Rambutan sprout from Puerto Rico

After being frozen almost to the ground, new growth on Tabouey x J-30 jakfruit.

Dang Rasimi jakfruit.....one of only three trees to set fruit this year. The others are Rien Bhat (1 fruit) and Mia 1 (3 fruits).

Picked some E Daw longan this morning. This is the main Thai commercial cultivar. Flesh is sweet and crisp. Nice fruit.

Goldfinger (FHIA 1) bananas getting just about to maturity.

That's all I had time for this morning. To be contiuned...

Comments (16)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice. That maprang looks MUCH better than when I was at your place. I bet you'll have fruit in no time. You are going to plant it in the spring right? They really take off when in the ground. My mayong chid probably doubled in size in the 6 months it has been in the ground.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i wonder how variable maprang seedlings are.

maprang seems so suitable here, it will be interesting to see what their cold tolerance is and if its hardy enough to survive sustained winters

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Wow Harry,

You never cease to amaze me. Everything looks so Great! You are so lucky to be able to grow such wonderful things.

Good Luck with the Pulasan, if anyone can do it, you can! I am going to try in my Greenhouse someday. Those Longans look absolutely delicious . Any Possibility of getting an Air-Layer from the E Daw?

Hope all else is well and keep the pictures coming, we love them.

Thanks,

Jacob

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi Harry. Thanks for sharing the pics with us!!! As always a pleasure to look at. Your Kai Maprang is gorgeous with all that new growth coming through! :-) So is the Tabouey x J-30 Jakfruit. I was very surprised to see the posts about freezes in Florida. Always thought it was sunny and warm year round... :-(

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great pics Harry! I love the pics of your jakfruits and logans!! Also, great to see new growth on your Tabouey x J-30 jakfruit. Good Luck on your Rambuatan, Mangosteen and Pulasan seedlings. It will be exciting to witness their progress!

Bo

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Great updates Harry! Let us know how the Maprang tastes when they fruit. I'm glad you are attempting to grow some Mangosteen because if its possible, you'll be the one to do it. Those Longan look very tasty, out of all the varieties you have, which one is your personal favorite?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and otherwise. This has been the best tasting that I remember E Daw tasting. However, year in, year out, I would have to say my favorites are See Chompoo (also called Sri Chompoo and similar spellings) or Biew Kiew (multiple spellings also). Longans are great when there are no lychees. Supposedly many Chinese prefer longan to lychee. Not me. It isn't close IMHO.

BTW, I did put a couple of layers on the E Daw at the request of DGHays. Gary, if you're out there, I think the layers may be ready to pot up. I'll check tomorrow and confirm. So there may be an extra one around. We'll see.

Harry

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Oh oh, Harry. I have a silly question. Just sent you a message! :-) Thank you!!!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nice photos Harry, is that a bloom on your mangosteen? I cant believe how close the clusters of fruit are on your jack, no personal space.

-Ethan

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Harry,

Its nice to see that most of your jakfruit trees have recovered from the frost. Btw do you have a Kohala Longan tree? I just got a Kohala Longan today :).

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GardenAtHome:-----I never received any message from you (silly or otherwise). Please re-send.

Ethan:------No... those weren't blooms on my mangosteen. That was a fruit. I picked all the rest of the fruits off of the tree (and ate them) before I took the picture (I didn't want to engender too much envy). I guess I missed one in the canopy. Forgive me.

NullZero (interesting user name BTW):-----Yes, I do have a Kohala Longan. For some reason, my tree, which is about 15 years old has never flourished. It is planted at one of the higher points of my yard (that would be at a staggering 8-10 feet above sea level) in an area that probably had a lot of fill brought in by whomever prepared my property for its being a home site many years ago. The tree fruits, but not prolificly like my other longans planted in the vacinity, although not as close to the road and therefore not as high up. I have tasted Kohala here and at other places, including at Bill Whitman's (who originally brought the cultivar in from Hawaii). The fruit is good size and quite good. For me it is not quite as good as See Chompoo or Biew Kiew, but its close. Definitely worth growing.

Harry

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Nice as always. Keep the squirrels out of those seedlings!

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Sent, sent. :-) Thank you! :-)

• franktank232
    13 years ago

That is awesome you got all those seedlings to sprout. I grow almost everything out from seed. Its amazing how fast seedlings can grow given the right conditions. I had some apricots that sprouted this past Feb...they are 6ft tall right now, with many long branches.

Did your cocoa die? or is it still going. I may have asked you that in the past, so don't beat me if i did. My mind is like jello these days (2 young kids).

I'd grab a few bananas, climb up the coconut palm and grab some coconuts. Grab a ripe pineapple out of the pineapple grove and make a smoothie :)

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FrankTank:

No, my cacao is still very much alive. It went almost completely leafless and lost many of its branches, but it has grown well over the summer and is getting back to the size it was before the freeze. I have three other small plants that basically died back to the ground that have all survived as well.

Harry

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Harry, can you send a few seeds from your jakfruit? I did kill a few of my earlier seedlings but I'd like to try again.
    Thanks,
    Bo

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida