Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlincooling

Ma'afala breadfruit

Carlincooling
10 years ago

I bought a Ma'afala breadfruit about 6 months ago. I since have air layered about 5 trees off this one tree. The tree is about 8 ft tall now. I bought 2 more 4 footers and plan on doing the same to them and then selling them locally. I plan on bringing them inside when the temps get down below 50 and taking it outside during the day when temps get into the 70s and 80s in winter time.
Come spring it should be about 10 ft tall and I plan on putting into the ground on the south side of house where there is little wind and higher temps. In about 6 months it should start to fruit.
Is anyone else in south Florida had any that fruited?

Comments (7)

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

I used to live in Miami, and saw some that fruited over there. They were old trees too, very large, beautiful to see.

• Carlincooling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I lived over there also. I never saw any. I guess you have to know where to look. Lol I have one that is about 9 ft now. I want to try and get 1 more winter with it in the 25 gal pot to protect it in the winter.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I have a tall breadfruit but don't know which variety it is. It's tall and spindly, probably because of growing under too much canopy. I'm considering cutting about 3 quarters or more of the trunk off to encourage it to become more bushy.

• Carlincooling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would probably wait,unless it's in a pot. Spring would be better

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It's spring here now but I'm waiting til the rains set in. So far only a couple of small storms. When the ground (and air) are saturated I'll make my move. They always say best to propagate from root cuttings. I'll cut the trunk up and see if they do any good as cuttings.

• Carlincooling
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish it was spring here! I don't like the cold temp we get here in south Florida. Hopefully we have a warm winter.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I can relate to that. I used to live in about zone 10b and moved to where I am now, 12 (sometimes 13). And still some mornings I wish it was a bit warmer, LOL. Good luck with your winter.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus