Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Argh, I hate the birds!

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 15:31

What do you guys do to protect your longans, or any fruit trees for that matter? At least half of my longans are lost to birds already. I'm thinking of wrapping chicken wire fence around the whole plant, and on top. The branches that still have some fruits, had lots more just last week.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Argh, I hate the birds!

For birds, there is bird netting that is cheap and practical for smaller trees. My trees are generally too large and I just have to share with the birds and their good friends the raccoons and possums.

Harry

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 16:21

This tree is no more than 5' tall, I have put down 4 x 2 posts around it, and will staple the wire fence around those posts. My grapes were devoured by the ground squirrels and now birds swooped down on my longans.

o

I have a fake Hawk that worked for a few weeks but the birds smartened up and don't fall for it anymore. Now I have to put bird netting, which i picked up at Armstrong Nurseries for $10. I also use long strips of aluminum foil tied to the netting and this has worked for me so far. Just be sure the aluminum doesn't touch your plants.

You may consider planting some cat nip to attract more cats. Nice looking Longan, what variety is that?

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 27, 10 at 2:25

Simon,
Quite a few of my fruit trees are of an unknown (to me) cultivars, due to the fact that family members got them for me and never bothered to ask the sellers that info. The bird nesting that you're referring to, is it fine mesh, kinda like window screen?

o

No, the holes are about 1cm wide and very flexible. You can just cut a length and drape it over your plants. I can water my plants like normal.

o

Correction, I just looked more closely at the netting and the holes are about 3/4 inch wide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here