Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

Mango tree grafting - where to get scion wood?

ashleysf
14 years ago

I would like to attempt to graft a mango tree. I grew 2 seedlings (Kent mango - polyembryonic) and one of them is almost 15 inches tall. I would like to graft an Indian mango variety on it. Are they compatible? And if so, where can I get cuttings for the scion in the graft? There is absolutely no local source for those exotic mangoes like Alphonso, Malgova, Neelum, Mallika etc. I am aware that I can purchase a grafted tree from an online source instead of attempting to do this by myself - but, the sole reason for doing my own grafting is because I am interested in learning how to do it and mangoes are my absolute favorite fruit, so why not start with them? Any leads for me? Your help is most appreciated.

Comments (7)

• boom1
    14 years ago

im lucky enough to live a few miles from Broward Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council, i know California has a Rare Fruit Council too, but i bet its far South of you

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi murahilin, you are so kind to offer. I will wait until spring next year to try to graft as last winter was brutal in my area (and no space to bring my mango indoors). If at that time, I need scion wood, I might take you up on your kind offer.

• solhorti89_gmail_com
    12 years ago

please send some information about the grafting of mango

• jbuz
    11 years ago

When your mango seed sends up two or more plants if one is signifiantly larger than the other(s) it probably will be s new variety; the others should be mirror images of the mother tree (subject to minor changes). One of my Kent seeds produced two plants. I clef-grafted the slightly smaller plant and the graft 'took' but died while we were on a trip last month. Four new plants are visible around the base of the original seedling and I can see some green leaflets beginning to indicate a fifth new plsnt. All will be Kents, with no more than minor variations. I grafted an Alfonso mango on a Manila mango three years ago and it lived until this year. My clef graft interface was defective as I had bought a new mango grafting tool and the cutting surface was not centered properly. The junction did not heal well. Do not cut scion wood until the new emerging growth has begun growing (possibly a 1/32nd of an inch long). I strongly recommend using parafilm to wrap your scion wood and rootstock to reduce loss of moisture. Clean your tools with ~91% alcohol between cuts. I have grafted scion wood to branches only 1/16th of an inch in diameter on stone fruit but they are very difficult to handle. I recommend using ~3/16ths inch or larger scion wood. Provide shade for a few days so the junction will be a little cooler. Search on the Internet using 'Google', or other browser, with "mango grafting" as your topic. Read several different directions. Develop skills on other plants before you use your mango scion wood unless you have a ready source for more. Apples are a good fruit on which to learn. Most grafts do well if you are careful, keep your tools clean and do not touch the exposed cambium and other materials with your fingers (oil from the hands rates very highly in killing or damaging grafts.).

• John Clay
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello everyone.I need your help,Where can I buy more than one mango scion wood in florida,I need a Nam doc mai & a Chanook. All info is greatly appreciated.