Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Hardy Mangoes?

Posted by jun_ 8a-9b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 17:16

hi all.

I want to grow a mango in the ground without having to cover it. What is the most cold hardy mango out there?

Is there one that will withstand down to 26F?

There is hardly any info about this on the net, I'm hoping someone with experience can give me some suggestions.

thanks! and happy growing everyone!

June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Hardy Mangoes?

mango can not take anything freezing, we flirted with freezing temps this year here this winter. I had a tree in the ground that died, it wasnt established yet. my other mango trees went into shock but came out in Spring.

puglvr grows mango in zone 9, she hard prunes down to a few feet and covers them i would put a light under the covering during the freeze nights.

o

Hi June, NO...unfortunately not! There aren't any Mango varieties out there that I know of that are more cold hardy than others. I wish there was...but they are all basically the same as far as what temperatures they can take. Usually mature/established mango trees around over 10 yrs old are more able to take lower temps...can sustain less damage, and not kill the tree...where younger newly planted trees can be killed or set way back with severe branch and foliage damage.

They all have to be protected from the frost or freeze especially when they are newly planted or just a few years old. They can take short periods of 32° or slightly below if its only for a short period of time...anything lower and long durations can cause severe damage or death.

I have a good book written by Richard J. Campbell I bought it at (Fairchild's Tropical Garden in Miami) that says
"The mango tree can survive a short exposure to temperatures of 32f, but temperatures of 30-32f will cause the death of blooms,fruit,leaves,twigs and branches. Extended exposure to even lower temperature can kill young trees and cause severe dieback of larger trees."

Maybe if we're lucky someone can "graft" or come up with a more Cold hardy mango...it would be nice!

o

there is anecdotal evidence reported by northern mango growers that some varieties are more cold hardy like Neelum or Keitt but it is so trivial it shouldnt even be considered when making your selection IMO.

much more important to focus on things such as a excellent flavored productive variety, and nice micro climate spot that is protected from northern wind preferably by a warm concrete house.

or go with my universal recommendation for everyone. grow a pickering in a 25 gal. container and bring it in and out of the house during season

o

It seems that others' experiences are different and that there may be significant variation in the cold hardiness of different mango cultivars. See the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold hardy mangos

o

I agree that there might be some unique experiences with individual trees/growing conditions that might be exceptions to this rule. I have a friend that had a 7 year old Bailey's Marvel that froze to the ground this last winter in FL...one mile from my house. They covered with a sheet and didn't add any heat underneath. The tree was 10ft tall and 8ft wide...it was SO sad to see this beautiful large tree completely die after our brutal winter.

I'm not sure if you want to take a chance and not protect it at all...I like the Pickering in a 25 gallon pot idea.

o

There is definitely some variance in cold tolerance among varieties and it had been known for a while. Here's a report prepared by William Carmichael that discussed the observations of cold tolerance during the freeze of 1958.

The truth is that any relatively small tree will need to be covered in temps you are describing though.

Once they get big they can usually survive some freezing conditions without major limb loss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Damage Report, 1958

o

brettay, ive read that forum post before. I still wouldnt recommend growing a baileys marvel unprotected with subfreezing weather personally.

Every tree is in an individual location and will vary, that may be why they think there freeze repellent spray is helping giving them protection when other posters have reported it definitely does not.

Im willing to accept Baileys Marvel is noticeably more cold tolerant then other varieties, only makes sense Mangos vary so greatly in where they were cultivated and Baileys marvel may be from a more Northern Indian mango.

I still wouldnt sleep good on a freezing night knowing i had an unprotected mango tree in my yard, which is why i dont consider any mango "cold hardy" maybe relative to other mango varieties, but not enough to be grown too far out from the sub-tropics.

Baileys Marvel is a difficult variety to find but it is worth growing. I hope im wrong and that it is reliably hardy down to sustained 24 degress, but im skeptic.

o

For what it is worth, I too have to protect all of my in-ground mango tree's. I do not protect them until the temps fall below 30f and I have not noticed damage at that temp.

o

Mango branches and leaves die around freezing. their roots i would assume would also die at this temperature and when the taproot dies the tree does as well. freezing temperatures require protection of mango trees.

an older tree will have a more established taproot that is buried well below the soil line into the water table. this is why my not-established mango tree died above freezing temps.

monitoring the ambient temperature really doesnt offer much evidence to cold hardiness, a cold gust could set a thermometer below freezing but the ground will take sustained freezing temps before it gets that cold that deep so you would also have to factor in the depth of root structure of individual trees. a slight freeze on the ground can actually insulate the soil, along with different soils, mulches, groundcover offering different insulation coupled with individual micro-climates. theres just too many variables without a controlled setting to make a conclusion.

I have read the previous links and they do address some of these concerns stating their Baileys Marvel was in an unprotected field at sustained below freezing temps, but again others like Pug have had similar experiences in seemingly better conditions with discouraging results

o

With the 85 varieties that I grow, my guess is that there may be some variation in cold tolerance (only stands to reason) but that any such variation is minor or minimal. We didn't have 26, but we had a couple days with the temps below freezing and two days where the temps dipped to 28. I did no covering of any of my trees. While most of my trees are well established I had several that were planted within the previous year. None were outwardly affected by the cold other than in the flowers, fruits and brand new, not yet hardened off, leaves. Obviously the trees were affected in the sense that many, many trees produced no fruit crop this year. But,I had no limb die back at all and barely any leaf burn. Now one must consider the location, moisture and heat content of the surrounding ground and this will obviously greatly affect the trees reaction to the cold. I have very low ground (6-8 feet above sea level) and very dense mucky soil covered with grass. How much that helped, I can't say. But at least in my yard, Bailey's Marvel did not fare any better than any other mango. Even when compared to newly planted mangoes like Jean Ellen, Angie and Tebow that were all less than 6 feet tall with no protective canopy. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Harry

o

• Posted by jun_ 8a-9b (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 19:07

so it seems there is some hope. I almost forgot about my Nam Doc Mai at my old house. it was in the ground and about 10 feet when I saw it last. ( I moved right before the big freeze around Jan 2010). But prior to that I never covered it for 3 years and it had only minor leaf damage every winter. It was in a very sheltered space though, next to the A/C.

I'm very curious how it did in the last freeze, but I will prob. never know.

I will keep looking, and hoping for that cold hardy mango...maybe one that does not exist right now.

o

I have a potted Bailys that I admit I did bring in to the garage when we had a weekend of near or at 32f nights this winter. But it took every other nights 34f+ back outside unprotected without dropping a leaf all the SF bay area's winter,and COOL summer.
And it has grown from around 3' to pushing 6' in two years,including a tip pruning in between by me. All in the same pot. Next year it's being potted up,or planted out.
The only caveat? by this size my old Manila Mango had bearing sweet fruits.By 5 years old ,it had a couple of dozen. Bailys being a larger sized fruit..who knows when or how many or quality?
I think if I add more ..I'm sticking with the dwarf or condo types.They seem hardy enough,and with so much more foliage on compact tree's its easier to protect in winter-or should be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here