Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexicola 'dwarf'. Super black fruit..

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 17:28

Great taste-no peeling. And blackest Avo fruits you'll ever see. I wouldn't run out to own one if I was you...they are a third the size of Hass,and for sure do best with a second Avo to pollinate with. A need really. I thought I would save space,but other conditions make me wonder if a regular Hass would have been best. And I also didnt think the fruits would be so small. I was hoping just the tree!
Full size

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexicola 'dwarf'. Super black fruit..

Thanks for the info on the Mexicola fruit, how would you compare the taste of the fruit to a Hass?

I recently picked up a Holiday dwarf avocado but it probably won't fruit for several years because its in a pot. Let me know if you are interested in a branch of my Holiday so you can graft it onto your tree for polination or to top work it.
Simon

o

Most Hass I've had were store bought-inferior to Mexicola fresh picked by far. They never wait a proper time to pick orchard fruit..
But,I did have an avocado tree many years ago-pit grown,that was just as good as this-but 6x or more larger..like small coconuts. That tree died from mysterious reasons.
But the dwarf Mexicola is fine and buttery-even my wife agrees. It did take the tedious attempt at peeling to convince her to eat in the salad, skin and all. She's convinced now, that's the way to eat them.

o

They are such beautiful but small fruits. Yes, skin and all, such a great color and flavor addition.

congrats,
-Ethan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here