Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have any experience with Brazos Belle and Favorite Avocado

Posted by jsvand5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 17:46

Looking for info on these. Brogdon and Day avocados get killed in my area so I was hoping these may survive. I have been reading that they can take temps down to 15 degrees with minimal damage. Just wondering if those reports are accurate. Anyone actually taste one of these varieties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have any experience with Brazos Belle and Favorite Avo

I don't know if you have seen the info from Rockledge Gardens, I'll link it here anyways, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.rockledgegardens.com/pdf/avocado.pdf

A nursery by me is getting a shippment in a couple weeks of Fantastic and I plan on buying it and experimenting with it here. The reports I have seen on it has it cold tolerant to 10f. I do not get that cold but we'll see if how it goes.

I have an acquaintance that has both the Brogdon and a cv called Joey. Each tree was about 10'x8' or so. Cold got down to about 20f with heavy frost and no protection provided. The Brogdon was killed to the roots (meaning only rootstock came back). The Joey had no damage and I have seen reports it can handle down to 10f. I have not tasted the Joey, but my acquaintance said it was very good.

Marcus

o

What nursery is it that is getting the Favorite? I am in Ocala so it might be worth the trip. If not I will be stuck buying 1gals.

o

A friend of mine collects avocados and has one from Arizona that can handle snow and 110+ weather and I believe the flavor is good too. I'll have to ask the name.

-Ethan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here