Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my tropical plants :)

Posted by mango_ken none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 17:55

Hey guys, Ive been reading around here for a while but figured I would say hello and show what I have growing.

I have had various plants through the days. When we had our greenhouse still running I had a lemon tree, orange tree, pineapple plant, pineapple guava, and a fig tree. those are long gone now minus the fig tree.

This past may I went to Jamaica for a wedding and brought some goodies back. I had Naseberry (sapodilla) seeds and star apple (Chrysophyllum cainito) seeds these however did not grow thanks to my dad (long story). I also brought back some scotch bonnet pepper seeds, sugar cane and some mangos.

I now have about 10 scotch bonnets growing, they are only just now flowering since they didn't germinate until the end of may, I grew 3 sugar canes (gave one away) and I would have had more mangos but again thanks to my dad I only have a Julie seedling.

Here are some pictures of my progress.

Photobucket
Scotch bonnets

Photobucket
Mango and sugar cane

Photobucket
Little Julie

Now the next big hurdle is getting some tasty peppers and getting these to winter in my house....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my tropical plants :)

very nice

o

Go Julie!

And what's a Scotch Bonnett, Ken? Is it a fruit? (guess I could google it!)

You mentioned the Green house - and all those plants "long gone" - did it go cold one winter where the heat went out, or bugs or.....?????

Or is it another "long story".....?

LOL.....good luck anyway, and keep us posted....

MDog

o

Hey Mangodog. Scotch bonnet peppers are a Caribbean version of habanero peppers. as for the greenhouse we had one of the biggest greenhouses in town but it was old (we celebrated its 90th anniversary) so it needed a lot of work and with big box stores selling junk plants for dirt cheap it was getting hard to compete. so about 4 years ago it was drop $100,000 or close it so my parents decided to close it down and with that went most of my tropical collection.

o

I like hot food, scotch bonnets are brutal hot. I want nothing to do with them.

thanks for the pics.

sugar cane, intriguing....

o

Sugar cane is natures Gatorade. I love a six inch section before and after a long day diving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here